IGNORED

Dellorto Vs Weber

HKSZ

Curious too know a bit more about Dellorto carbs?

I'm trying to put together a triple weber set up for a 240 (still one carb and a manifold short :( ) and wonder how good these 45 dellorto carbs are. What I have found is they bolt up the same but do the chokes, venturis, jets and idles interchange with the weber parts?

cheers Steve

but as far as a good carb goes they are a great carb. mostly used on the likes of alfa's hehe no offense alfa puppy, but are great carbs as i siad before.

they work well are easier to tune and seem not to be as subjective to weather changes as webers are.

imo they are a better carb then weber

i have dell's on my 280 (DHLA 40F), and they were ok until i turned out the chokes.. now there's a real bad flat spot i can't get rid of.. tried drilling out the mains, havn't done the idle's yet. i also have the accel. pump at full throw. needs some more tuning. i also need emmulsion tubes, so if anyone has some, let me know! the only place i can find parts is in england. there's a company called CB performance in cali that has some parts, but, not the ones i need right now (but they do have rebuild kits, air horns, filters, etc.):cry:

you can get the 40's on ebay for about 220 including shipping from italy unless prices went up in the past few months... there's always the same guy selling them, and he'll bend over backwards to help u out.

on the topic of carbie comparison how about the Mikuni's? The PO of my car was running those but sold the car with the Dual SU's instead.

I'm interested in the possibility of using Tripples but still have some faith in the old SU's. :classic:

the mikuni's are great as well. they were the original and still the current NISMO part for these cars (japanese car, japanese carbs!). my buddy has them on his 240, and i've noticed that they are VERY temperature sensitive and he has a roungh time keeping them consistent with the weather changing... and that's a pretty bad problem to have here in Rochester! you can go through all the seasons in a day if you want!ROFL

his seller name is alfa1750 if i remember correctly and he will do anything that he can to help you and make sure you have a good sale and transaction.

i would deal with him with anything he had to sell. hes about the best person you could ever work with and like dozer said he will bend over backwards to help out.

I have triple Dellorto 45's on My 73 240Z. The Parts seem readily available in Brisbane (Australia). I rebuilt my carbs when I bought the car 12 months ago and the carby rebuild kits where about $AU 50ea. And that included all gaskets and a new throttle pump diaphram and also had instructions on how to set the float level.

After the rebuild I got the car Dyno tuned and re-jetted. The main Jets where $AU 9ea. Here is the chart from the Dyno tune. Done in 3rd Gear.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2291&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

So 12 months down the track I've found the Carbs excellent. I've driven the car rain or shine, hot days cold days everyday! and they perform brilliantly. They don't seem to be sensitive to hot or cold at all. I've had them on the track a few times and they seem good. I love the roar of an open set of triples!

I don't have the Chokes hooked up either and it doesn't matter. I just jump in the car pump the throttle 4 times in summer or 6 times in winter and turn the key.. vroom... hold a bit of throttle on with your foot for about 10 secs then drive off. Taking it easy for the first 5 mins or so until the engine warms up. (I still have a thermostat, I don't beleive in destroying engines) :)

I think the important thing with these carbs, or webers is when you get them do a complete rebuild, replace all seals etc, and re-set the float levels before you try and tune them. If you don't you'll be fighting them to ever get them tuned properly. And I suggest getting them tuned properly to start with, by a pro. I got mine tuned by "Brisbane Tuning and Turbo Center" for $AU300 on the Dyno, changing jets etc to get it right. I haven't touched them since, nor have I needed to :) It's best to keep the fiddling to a minimal once they are set up properly.... Wberes and Delortos, and I guess Mikuni's get a bad rap for being hard to tune... they are... so get them done properly once and you will be hassle free. Or fiddle around with em yourslef and you will never get them right.

Here is a piccy of the Delorto setup

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=2105&password=&sort=7&thecat=500

I have a Manx buggy that has a single downdraft Weber and it is allot more sesitive to hot and cold than the Z and it's only a single! ?

So based on my experience with Webers and Delortos. Delortos are signifigantly less vunerable to changes in temperature / conditions.

Here is a piccy of my Manx.

http://home.acenet.net.au/m.morley/blbvw/photoshoot/DSCF1893.jpg

and again

http://home.acenet.net.au/m.morley/blbvw/photoshoot/DSCF1894.jpg

And atached is a photo of my Delortos spread out across the Kitchen table when I was rekitting them.

Just for the record it only took one lazy Saturday of watching motor racing on TV to tottally Rekit / Rebuild all three carbies.

OzLime240Z

post-2364-1415079285064_thumb.jpg

I would agree with the concensus that the Dellortos are at least as good as webers and maybe a bit easier to tune. I have owned cars with all three. I have currently have Mikunis but they are hard to get bits for.

main thing is DONT OVERCARB 40s are just fine on a road car, as for machining carbs, well thats just silly stuff

Been speaking to a friend who owns a set of tripple delorto's and he says there the same thing as webers is this true? or does he just mean they do the same thing.

Thanks for the info BTW guys I really appreciate it.

I think my Su's might need rebuilding as they keep coming out of tune. Might get a hold of a SU rebuild kit.

Anyone had experience with tripple SU's on a 240z? Someone was asking me if I wanted a set but am unsure any suggestions?

Thanks