IGNORED

Shakedown

tanny

Well, I just arrived back home from the first long cruise(350 miles each way. Purpose was to get the Z painted) with the Z since rebuilding it, and the trip proved interesting(euphemism). First thing on the way up to Denver, I was stopped by a cop for no front license plate(Didn't even realize it was required. Guess that's why they sent me two plates. Duhhh.). A little farther on, I stopped to get gas and found that my fuel inlet fittings on the triple webers had come loose(the dirt roads I live on wreak havoc with anything not welded) and were leaking a substantial amount of gas onto the header. Almost turned the Z into a ricer with the flaming exhaust. Then while in Denver, on the way to the paint shop(and late of course), the Z dropped dead on a freeway on ramp. Fortunately it was only the wire to the points had popped loose. On the way home, I stopped for a burrito and noticed a high pitched squeaking(not gas from the burrito) from the right front. The alternator was only held on by the adjusting bolt and was starting to twist, making the belt squeak. Apparently one of the bolts on the base support had fallen off, and the remaining bolt had snapped from the excess torque that was then applied. Hitch hiking to the local parts store allowed me to attach the base of the alternator and get home. Now I get to use the easy-out and and repair the snapped off bolt. Other than that, my trip was no problem. These old cars make for a great driving experience. Vaguely reminiscent of the descriptions I've read of traveling in the Model T. Maybe I better get some practice and start driving my sister's Model T. Victor.

I stopped after 24 years or so and just replaced EVERYTHING. Nothing ever broke much, but it was time for a total rebuild. I should be back on the road next week with everything new(again). The next 24 years will hopefully be as much fun and trouble free as the last. My only worry is that parts will get so rare in the next 5-10 years that I may have to retire it early from it's daily driver role....

Fingers crossed.

There is a light at the end of this dreary tunnel. The encouraging thought I offer goes against my general pessimism.

The more you chase down these little issues, the less they occur.

Life has taught me that the above is NOT BY ANY MEANS a absolute rule. But in the realm of my 30 + year old Datsun sports cars, it actually works!

keep after this stuff. When it seems you have "laid your hands upon" every component and system in your car, taking the cross-country trek will be more pleasurable than a McGiver Adventure.

It's good to hear from you again, Victor. scroll back on the "Shout Box" and you'll find out you were missed.

Thanks for the optimism. I also forgot to mention that the new(two months old) mechanical fuel pump started sounding like a trash can lid symphony, but I was able to make it the rest of the way to Denver(because it's a 73 and the electric pump continued functioning). Actually I did enjoy the trip and fortunately didn't have to call AAA once. For some reason I can't explain, because I never plan that well, I had brought along a fairly complete bunch of tools. I take heart from the fact that if I had been in any of my more modern cars, I would have gone over my tow limit with AAA and been out mucho green. Victor.