Help verifying wiring please. - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Help verifying wiring please.

Featured Replies

Hello everyone. I seem to be getting some conflicting wiring information from the various diagrams available. I was hoping you could all help me verify what some of the wires on my car are for.

It is a Jan/1971 wiring harness with a 1972 dashboard and 1972 center console and fuse box installed ( I believe. There has been a bunch of extra stuff done for aftermarket radio, choke light that is illuminated whenever it is pulled and an always hot alarm blinkey LED.)

CENTER CONSOLE BEHIND RADIO

Center wiring marked.jpg

Blue circle - Large blue wire not connected to anything wrapped with blue tape. Is this the power lead for an AC?

Red circle - Is this the power and illumination (+) for the radio?

Green circle - Black with white stripe and green. Is this the wiring for electric fuel pump?

Violet circle - No idea what this is for.

Orange circle - connected to fan control. I am guessing fan switch and illumination but I cant match the colors.

PASSENGER (RIGHT) KICK PANEL

1971 Datsun 240z passenger kick panel wiring. marked.jpg

White circle - Step light wiring?

Thank for any help and confirmation. It all started with trying to check if it was safe to insert the horn fuse (currently not installed) to get it working on my steering wheel refurbish. Now the whole car looks blown up.

What the heck is this.... take it apart...discover something else wonky....take it apart...repeat.... [face palm] I love it.

Edited by DrFeelGood

I messed around a bunch with the early car wiring diagram. The results are here and the current version (v8.0 at the time of this writing) of my wiring diagram can be found on page seven:
https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/69026-1970-wiring-diagram/

I do not know, however, if your 1/71 car is the same as the 7/70 I was using as my guide. Probably very similar, but not necessarily identical. That, and it sounds like your car has been customized some, so it will clearly differ there as well.

Looking over my wiring diagram, the only pair I found for R/L and B is for the auto transmission indicator lamp.

I'm thinking that the wires in your red circle are for the defroster? Is it a L and R/B? I can't see any stripes on the red, but it may be on the back side.

30% thumb 8.0.jpg

Take a look through the diagrams and maybe you can find some help in there?

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.