IGNORED

Running Like a Dog Today

texasz

The first thing you need to do is either clean the plugs, buy new plugs or they will keep fouling. Which is why you have power problems.

The problem is definitely with your carbs, their adjustments are out of sync. I would first make sure the chokes aren't stuck open. You check this by feeling directly on the bottom of the carbs. They should both be up if the choke is off. If one is stuck open don't force it shut. You need to loosen the cable first. Also check to see if you have the correct amount of oil in them.

The next thing I would do is go to this attachment on tuning carbs. It is from Zhome.com.

If you get stuck I can answer so specific questions, but is a very lenghty process explaining the procedure in type. Only takes about 10 minutes to complete the tune though.

The best thing I ever did for myself in regards to tuning SU's was buy the video from Ztharapy. I would still be guessing about this stuff if it wasn't for that tape.su tune

biker, I forgot to mention that someone along the way has converted this car to elctronic ignition so there are no points.

GTZZZ, is the video really that helpful? I guess maybe I should buy a copy of it.

SU tuning is just about as easy as anything gets on a car. There are dozens of sites on the web that will tell you how. Search for SU carb tuning or Skinners Union carb tuning. It doesn't matter if the site is a Datsun site or a Triumph site, it's all the same. Sorry to blaspheme here, but I never found those cheap a$$ unisyn flow meters to help. I trust that my own senses are more accurate than those things. You also should learn to "read" plugs. There is a fundamental old school skill that is necessary to learn how to tune carbs.

The reason when you shot stuff in the rear carb and nothing happened is because the last three cylinders aren't firing, most likely because of plug fouling. Wiping them off doesn't clean them well enough, they need to be bead blasted to get that carbon off.

If the carbs were purely the issue, it wouldn't matter if they were synced or rich or what not with WOT. You will have power if your ignition is good. Too rich, and the carbs may be fouling the plugs, or you may have an ignition problem that is contributing, but until you get some good plugs in there, you really aren't going to know if the carbs are right or not. Like somebody said here, spend $10 on some new plugs.

--John

'73 FP 240Z

• 4 weeks later...