IGNORED

Inner fender panel sealing

Rreford

Anyone have input or suggestions on the seal that runs along the outer edge of the inner fender support panel? I'm ready to reinstall my inner fender supports, whatever was present from the factory had turned to powder when I pulled them for the car restoration. Late '70 build date.

Edited by Rreford

8 hours ago, Route66 said:

Make sure not to use home center type weather seals in metal on metal situations. Those materials tend to hold water. 

Ooooo that's nasty.  Open cell foam will defiantly hold water but closed cell won't.  In your first photo showing the passenger side fender it looks like the original rubber seal is still in place.

For some reason on the assembly line, a blob of seam sealer was applied blocking the drain hole on top of the wheel well. Any water that does make it past the original rubber seal just sits there in a pool eating away the metal. It's a hard place for water to evaporate from.

The last pic I have chipped the old seam sealer out and cleared the drain hole.

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1