IGNORED

Startup after storage

Zatarra

Greetings.   I rebuilt my 77' 280z a year ago and drove it around for a few miles just to make sure everything was running fairly smooth.  The entire engine was taken apart with new bearings, rings, head bolts, etc.  I live in California and did not feel like dealing with the smog just yet so I took out the dash and restored it as well as restoring the gauges with Intellitronix inserts.  Now I am ready to restart it, should I be fine just to crank it right up or should I follow something like atlanticz's steps to put it back in service?  http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/storing/index.html

"Putting Back in Service

Remove plugs and crank engine at starter to flow oil through engine until a good and steady oil pressure. This will take 45 seconds or so. Install plugs and away you go.

Check for leaks and proper vehicle functioning.

Replace all fluids"

What does it mean by "crank engine at starter"?  

Note, it was only driven about 10 miles after the rebuild, assembly lube used where appropriate but has not had an oil change since.  

Thank you in advance!

You could easily pull the valve cover and pour oil right on the cam and all the other stuff, rockers and valve stems. The valve seals and lash pads too.

If you aren't in a hurry you should do a valve adjustment double check from the rebuild. A lot of times lash pads fall off after rebuild settings. Mine did and I was fully attentive, half drunk but paid attention. ROFL

Edited by siteunseen
  • Wow 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

Take the wire off the coil and spin it with no plugs. It'll need the oil on the valve train after sitting so long. Follow atlanticz advice, I always have.

Sounds like a plan.  I'll remove the valve cover and lightly oil, I'll take off the wire from the ignition coil, remove all spark plugs and crank it a few times before reassembling.  I was able to rebuild the engine outside of the typical machine shop work because of detailed instructions all over the internet and manuals.  I just had to be really sure on this process as well as no detail is too small.  Thank you!  

• Like 1