IGNORED

1977 280z Rear Carpet

ckurtz2

Hey Guys,

Looking to get new carpet put in my Z. The rear carpet is specifically giving me trouble. My car has the special "raised" deck, which I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyways I was wondering what company makes the most original looking carpets for these cars. In addition, does anyone know if I can get new carpet to work with these straps? I am not sure if they are original or not, but they are a cool feature, just unfortunately sewn into the carpet.

Getting tired of looking at this faded, dusty, torn and ratty rear carpet.

Thank you in advance!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I bought some from AC carpet in alabama i belief they are.. sended me the wrong ones for a 2 seater instead of the 2+2.. i found out when i was to late to return them. they make one for the 280zx maybe also for the 280z.. BUT.. they don't make the rear part with the openings for the straps.. all sayd.. they make a bad copy. 🤢

Yours looks like someone (tried to) paint(ed) it with some black interior paint?

• Like 1

Yeah I think the carpet faded from the sun and someone tried to redye it or something, did a real POS job:) When I replace the carpet the vinyl will be replaced too due to the unfortunate overspray evident everywhere.

21 hours ago, ckurtz2 said:

Hey Guys,

Looking to get new carpet put in my Z. The rear carpet is specifically giving me trouble. My car has the special "raised" deck, which I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyways I was wondering what company makes the most original looking carpets for these cars. In addition, does anyone know if I can get new carpet to work with these straps? I am not sure if they are original or not, but they are a cool feature, just unfortunately sewn into the carpet.

Getting tired of looking at this faded, dusty, torn and ratty rear carpet.

Thank you in advance!

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Mi e gas the straps also ,1972 240Z

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you order new Carpet? I ordered mine (75 280Z) from NewarkAuto.  The quality of the carpet is very good. Properly backed as well. They have a kit listed for the '77, which is definitely not the same layout as my 75. Can't tell from the image if they cut & seam the strap openings you would require. I would call them to check

Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.25.39 PM.png

Edited by HusseinHolland
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I wish I would have gone with the Newark Auto kit honestly. I got convinced to do the molded kit from MSA and I am so far unimpressed. The big convincing factor to me was that it had the slits cut out for the cargo strap reinforcements. However, I thought it would include the vinly inserts like my original carpet, but it did not, just some sloppily cut slits. Also, the carpets showed up extremely dirty and full of fuzz. My final complaint is that even in the box the sewn edges are already falling apart. I'll provide photos of the whole kit as it arrived, and what i had an upholstery shop do to it. 

Here is how it arrived.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Here is the edges coming apart

image.jpeg

Here are the inserts I had an upholstery shop do over the poorly made cuts.

image.jpeg

• Sad 3

On 4/24/2023 at 9:00 PM, ckurtz2 said:

Anyone else rocking the MSA molded carpet kits? I am curious if they look ok installed, or if I truly messed up and people tend to avoid their carpet kits.

They look really "lumpy" - do they level out when actually installed?

I have a question for you - did you note which way the undermatting fits in the front? I removed mine to clean & dry them, and didn't take a pic. putting them in,, I don't seem to find a obvious orientation that doesn't seem to have fitment issues. There are cut-outs that don't seem to align with anything

PXL_20230424_185934454.jpg

Do you know if this is correct?

PXL_20230424_190331475.jpg

PXL_20230424_190505355.jpg

EDIT - I have 3 pieces per side

PXL_20230425_223909282.jpg

Edited by HusseinHolland

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, it has been a rough finals week.

Anyways, yeah the lumpyness is caused by the "vacuum formed" carpet instead of the sectional ones like the original. It is suposed to conform to the body of the car easier.

Regarding your padding. I honestly have no idea, I unfortunately already threw all my old stuff out, so I have nothing to reference for you:(

Edited by ckurtz2