IGNORED

Starter turns but no power at coil

Randalla

I believe I have a bad ignition switch. Before I replace it I want to be sure I don't have another issue. The starter is energized and turns with the key, but the car does not start or even pop. I've ruled out any mechanical issues. I'm not measuring any voltage at the coil when power is switched on with ignition. Can anyone confirm a Z ignition switch can energize the starter, but not the coil?  

Edited by Randalla

Yes, they are separate wires.

I'll assume you have a 240Z. In the start position, the green/white wire and black/yellow wire get voltage. The black/yellow goes to the solenoid. The green/white goes to the tachometer and comes out black/white. The black/white wire goes to the coil positive.

You don't say what ignition you are using. If it's points, make sure they are opening and closing. 

Here is the procedure to verify it's an issue with the switch.

1. Put the key in ON.
  2. Verify you have voltage at the ignition fuse. You can do that by seeing if your turn signals are working.
  3. Measure voltage to ground at coil positive.

If you have voltage to ground at coil positive, it is likely there is an issue with the start circuit around the switch. Inspect the switch and wiring the the steering column.

If you have turn signals but not voltage at the coil, you need to start inspecting connections. It could be at tachometer or the connections between the dash harness and engine harness.

• Like 1