IGNORED

Koito H4 Headlight Housings

SteveJ

6 minutes ago, HusseinHolland said:

Thanks Steve - I actually need it for the drive to work 🙂 - I teach high school, so I'm out the door by 6am.

Since you need it as a daily driver, definitely change the markers and gauges to LEDs. That will help protect that parking light circuit that you already found issues with. And it will reduce the chances for future problems with your headlight switch, too.

2 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Since you need it as a daily driver, definitely change the markers and gauges to LEDs. That will help protect that parking light circuit that you already found issues with. And it will reduce the chances for future problems with your headlight switch, too.

Doing a quick google search I'm not coming up with a reference list of suitable LED bulbs to replace the side markers, parking & taillamp bulbs. The Instruments I already swapped out for LED, except the tach due to the reversed polarity. Is this something you have already documented? 

I also noticed in your video  your car doesn't have the wheel arch liner & forward splash shielding I had to remove to get to the bucket.  Would have been easier if I had removed the wheels, but I was being stubborn 🤪

56 minutes ago, HusseinHolland said:

Doing a quick google search I'm not coming up with a reference list of suitable LED bulbs to replace the side markers, parking & taillamp bulbs. The Instruments I already swapped out for LED, except the tach due to the reversed polarity. Is this something you have already documented? 

I also noticed in your video  your car doesn't have the wheel arch liner & forward splash shielding I had to remove to get to the bucket.  Would have been easier if I had removed the wheels, but I was being stubborn 🤪

Here's a link to my current LED list: 

The 240Z & 260Z didn't have the inner fender liners. Many 280Z owners discarded them, too. You can replace the headlights without removing the tires, but it's a pain if you have the inner fender liners. If you're not removing the tires, put the front on jackstands so you can turn the wheel easily, and you don't have to sit on the ground.

9 hours ago, SteveJ said:

Here's a link to my current LED list: 

The 240Z & 260Z didn't have the inner fender liners. Many 280Z owners discarded them, too. You can replace the headlights without removing the tires, but it's a pain if you have the inner fender liners. If you're not removing the tires, put the front on jackstands so you can turn the wheel easily, and you don't have to sit on the ground.

Thanks Steve - I'm am confused about the side markers - the link is for 1156's - I thought the side markers were a smaller base?  I have not dismantled them yet.

Tail lamp uses 2 or 4 (total) 1156's?

Front side markers would also use 1157 in amber assuming they are also directionals - I've not paid any attention honestly -  one of the two Amber listings should say front side markers?

EDIT - went out to the car (75 280Z), I have:

4 small bulbs for side markers, single filament. 2 amber 1157 front signal/park. 2 1157 rear signal + tail. 2 small base park. 2 1156 brake lights

screenshot-www.classiczcars.com-2023.10.27-11_05_02.png

Edited by HusseinHolland
fix detail

1156 dimensions:

image.png

67 bulb dimensions:

image.png

The ones I put for side markers have a dome that has similar dimensions to the 67 bulb even though they are described as 1156. All of the bulbs listed are in use in my cars except for the gauge bulbs. That part number was provided by another member here. They allow for reverse polarity which is important due to a design quirk in the 260Z/280Z gauge light wiring.

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

D'oh, I discovered an error in the list. Go back and look at it again. I noted what I changed. @HusseinHolland

Thanks again Steve. That was the one I assumed was meant to be front side marker, since the link showed the small dome . 

I ordered following your suggestions, I did however look for some slightly cheaper  cylindrical versions - still, came out to about $75

Edited by HusseinHolland

On 9/2/2022 at 1:09 PM, SteveJ said:

A while back I found that there was an H4 headlight kit for the Toyota Land Cruiser that used Koito H4 housings. This got my attention since Koito supplied many bulbs to Nissan, including sealed beam headlights. The website I found with the best price said they were sold out, so I put myself on the waiting list.

Earlier this week I saw a post on Facebook where someone said he bought this kit from Toyota for his Z cars and supplied a part number. Using that part number, I searched dealerships online that said they had the part. One of the dealerships is on the other side of town, so I pulled the trigger and ordered a set. The kit arrived today. It has a nice relay harness that I won't need. I am just after the H4 housings. I'll put H4 LED bulbs in them and install them in the 260Z.

If you're interested in a set of Koito H4 housings, the Toyota part number for the kit is 81110-60P70.

Question Steve - it was pointed out to me that LED headlamp bulbs put out the heat at the rear - our housings have no venting that would help dissipate that. How long have you used the LED's for? 

After I heard that, I started looking online - Auxito actually has a blog on it. Now I'm wondering if this is going to become an issue.

As an aside I've been in front of cars with the flickering LED's - I didn't know that was a heat related thing, it is truly obnoxious to see in the rear view mirror.

EDIT: Re-reading the Auxito listing description, it does say this model has in internal fan - that would make all the diffference. I didn't register that fact in your LED post, but maybe you assumed ppl knew to get ones with the internal fan?

Screenshot 2023-10-29 at 5.49.44 PM.png

Edited by HusseinHolland

I have used the Auxito bulbs for a couple for about 3 years now. I don't believe I've driven more than an hour in the dark, either.

As for flicker, I haven't noticed it in either of my cars, and I haven't heard of any complaints, either.

• Like 2

On 10/29/2023 at 6:23 PM, SteveJ said:

I should clarify. I haven't driven more than 1 hour in the dark in any given drive. I have driven in the dark plenty of times with these bulbs without issues.

Problem - with LEDs in the directionals, they don't flash. The Hazard flasher still worked with just the two rear bulbs, that's how I was testing them. As soon as I added the two front, I had no hazard either.

I didn't see any mention of issues with the two relays.  ....