IGNORED

DIFFERENTIAL VENT FILTER?

jpc3006

Does anyone know if there should be a foam filter inside the differential vent? The differential is an R180 on a '73 240. I removed the plastic differential vent and there was some disintegrating foam material inside which fell apart when I removed it. I am going to reassemble without the foam and hope that it doesn't blow the gear oil out the vent.

They don't come that way from the factory but many people (at least one, me) do stick a spongy or foam-like material inside to prevent oil droplets from coming out.  The droplets stick to the material and drip back in but the air can come and go freely.  Similar function to the screen used on the crankcase vent tube.

Zed,

Then I must have put that foam in there. It's been over 20 years since I had the diff out and I didn't remember. In any case I think the foam deteriorated to the point where it blocked the vent and I got a cover gasket leak. So today I put a new gasket on and, at least for now, I have an open vent. I'll see if it blows any gear oil out.

Thanks for the prompt response,

John

• Like 1