IGNORED

Early Z Parts Design

I was working on the comboi light switch from VIN #1818, 02/70, and noted a couple of weak design issues that were later eliminated. The first is the method of indexing the main plastic barrel to the frame with a small tab on the barrel that fits into a small recess on the frame.

SW01.jpg

The plastic tab was long gone on this car and the PO had substituted a tiny piece of wire and a cut off straight pin, both jammed into the plastic to provide the index.

SW02.jpg

I located suitable donor material in the form of a long dead BIC lighter, cut a piece from the body and notched the barrel to receive the transplant.

SW03.jpg

The transplant was glued into place and then trimmed to fit the frame recess.

SW04.jpg

SW05.jpg

All later model switches I have worked on reversed this design to provide a raised boss on the frame to fit into a notch on the plastic barrel.

The second design item I found is the use of a jumper wire to route power from the light switch over to the wiper switch, later replaced with a dedicated power wire in the wiring harness.

SW06.jpg

SW07.jpg

• Like 4