IGNORED

MSA 6-1 Header Install

KenFirch

I finally decided to install headers on my Z, the MSA 6-1's.  I had their Performance Exhaust ordered too, but cancelled that after deciding I wanted a resonator, and didn't like the rear muffler u-bolt mount setup.  So, going to drive it 10 miles up the freeway open exhaust to a good shop to get finished up.  Here's a few pics.

Here's what I'm starting with, which all has to come off:

IMG_7460.JPG

Here's the monstrosity to be removed.  I've tried to keep this car pretty much stock, but removed the smog pump a few years ago which helped it run better.  So now a header, since the exhaust pipes are getting a few pinholes.  Figure if I'm doing the exhaust, may as well go the header route now.

IMG_7463.JPG

Here's the old Nichara system dated 1984.  Mufflers still seem solid, just the pipes are getting bad.  Anybody wants it come get it.  🙂

IMG_7468.JPG

Already had the MSA studs installed when I rebuilt it a few years ago.

IMG_7472.JPG

Dry fit to make sure it clears everything, thermostat housing, etc.  Did have to remove that tray like thingy-ma-jig bolted to the oil pan bolts, not sure what its purpose is.

IMG_7474.JPG

I did use the Stage8 locking nuts, we'll see how they work.  I may regret this if I need to re-torque nuts.

IMG_7475.JPG

The shield fits nicely.  Love the thick flange on the header, and not having to mess with stepped washers for the 6 studs between exhaust and intake.

IMG_7478.JPG

Finished with header.  Overall, pretty easy job.  After adding new coolant, started it up.  It's going to be a noisy drive to the shop tomorrow!  

IMG_7479.JPG

I'll post pictures of the finished mufflers and pipes, tomorrow, hopefully.

• Like 3