IGNORED

"WaterBorne" Paint vs Oil/Solvent Based Paint?

Johnz1971

I'm just about ready to take my z to a body shop for the paint job.  As I look at places close to me, the one with the best reviews states on their website that they use waterborne paint.

Anyone else use this newer type of paint?  If so, is it a close match to the original paint color look?  

Over 20 years ago a friend used some waterbased paint on a oldtimer.. then he did not want to drive it because the paint chipped easy due to little stones i guess.. the paint was very soft.. i don't know what the waterbased paint is these days but the colormatching should be no problem. I think the oilbased (what i used on my 280zx) is still the best way to go on the oldtimers.

New cars are all waterbased paint i think?  (Maybe that's why they are all like oranges!!) Paintwork these "robopainterdays"  i find completely S .#%&^$#%^$$. H .^&%#$%^$$. I .&%##%^% T !!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1