IGNORED

paint and primer question

inline4

the car is originally gunmetal and a friend is going to prime it black using some funky brand primer (its all oxidized and I want it uniform until I can afford to repaint.)

if the car is grey and I have it primered black, will it be a problem when it comes to paint, since it will just be black, and the paint job will be grey, not to mention the different brand primers?

Originally posted by inline4

the car is originally gunmetal and a friend is going to prime it black using some funky brand primer (its all oxidized and I want it uniform until I can afford to repaint.)

Others here will certainly have better advice. However, keep in mind that primer is porous because its whole job is to allow paint to stick to it. I wouldn't drive a primer-only car anywhere where it could get wet.

Mike said it best regarding Primer finish autos. If that is the finish you want, then Primer OVER a base coat of paint. The Base Coat of Paint will make it so that moisture won't creep down to the metal and cause surface rust.

Regarding the different colors of primer, a dark primer will require additional coats of a lighter hue paint before you will have proper color coverage. If the painter is skilled, the "extra" coats need not be a problem, sometimes all it takes is altering the paint pattern.

A lighter hue primer with a dark paint will also require additional coats in order to avoid the base color "bleed-thru".

However, in this case where you're hoping to paint a grey over a grey primer, if the paint is close to the hue of the primer, it can cause problems for the painter. The basic problem will be one of ensuring even coverage everywhere. Personally, in this scenario, I would prefer painting over the dark or even red oxide primer.

As far as compatibility between the paint and the primers, the only type of incompatibility you'll find is if you use a lacquer paint over an enamel or reducer based primer. Since nowdays both lacqur paint and enamel primers are rarely used, you shouldn't have any problem.

FWIW

Enrique