IGNORED

Greetings from Mexico

Welcome and my condolences as well. 

Interior looks like a 72, has the early bat handled hazard switch.

But I’d like to know the story about how it acquired 260/280 tail lights. That bumper and the spacer between the body and bumper on the rear is an early 260 thing. 73’s didn’t have a rear spacer, just on the front. 

So the question might be, where does the 240 end and the 260 begin?

Edited by zKars

On 8/1/2020 at 4:45 AM, bartsscooterservice said:

Holy moly. That's some project you have there. Good luck ! Nice to read your story.

Roll it out first and pressure wash it, get ALL the dirt of first, also the underside of the car and engine bay.

A few basic steps ( to start it and see how it runs ) to do are:

wheel bearing ( inspect them and grease them or replace them ).

BRAKES

new batteru=y

Replace the rubber fuel lines, and flush the lines and TANK, replace fuel filter.

Check mechanical fuel pump for operation and leaks.

take carbs of and clean them

check state of ignition and put some new plugs.

put clean NON ethanol gas

she should start up if valve clearances are good * you could always check them with the engine tune up

Thank you!  Great advice! ...Yes I have several things to ponder before I start really fixing things in the car. While I haven´t been able to do any serious work on it I´ve been doing a lot of research (this site is an amazing source of information) and trying to decide on certain things like for example if I want to keep the original engine or  do a swap for something more modern/reliable, or if I´ll keep the current paint job or change it to another color that better matches the red interior...or on the contrary, may be just changing the color of the interior. I´m still not sure, every option has pros and cons. What I´m sure about is that I don´t want/need to do a complete restoration and full originality  but at the same time I neither want to radically transform or customize it. It´ll probably wind up being a mild resto mod, basically stock looking but with little improvements here and there (like LED lights, a better sound system  and such) What you can be sure is that I´ll be coming back here to show this project´s  progress and certainly to ask a lot of questions.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, zKars said:

Welcome and my condolences as well. 

Interior looks like a 72, has the early bat handled hazard switch.

But I’d like to know the story about how it acquired 260/280 tail lights. That bumper and the spacer between the body and bumper on the rear is an early 260 thing. 73’s didn’t have a rear spacer, just on the front. 

So the question might be, where does the 240 end and the 260 begin?

Well....like I said before...or has I remember is that one of the original 72 tail lights was broken. My father went looking for a replacement in junk yards. This was way before internet and since Z cars never were sold in this country, it was very difficult to get parts for them. I think he found this rear end in a Texas junkyard and drove back with the parts all the way down to Mexico City. Like I mentioned Z cars in general are a rather rare sight around here and my dad was far from being an expert on the matter so he didn ´t think twice about the swap (I remember he even said that it was even a way of "modernizing" the car......Yes I know, I know) At that time he had someone who came and worked in his cars anddid the (rather crude) adaptation. Now that you mentioned it, it´s likely that the bumper/spacer also came with the tail lights and panel, I really couldn ´t tell. Next time I´m there I´ll look for the original bumper (luckily my father used to keep a lot of his car´s parts even when he didn´t actually used them, that´s how I rescued the original 240Z rear end)

What I have already done is removing the 260Z tail lights. They happened to be in a really  good shape.

001a.jpg

0009.jpg

0005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again! I hope you are all fine. I just got a used 240Z tail light to replace the original one that was broken. Now I´m planning to clean/polish and maybe clear coat both lenses. I already separated the lens from the lamp´s body using the hot water method. Now I´d like to get rid of that gooey residue from the adhesive that held them together. Is there a simple way to do this?

tail-light-residue.jpg