IGNORED

no go

frankensteinZ

My 72 240z died on me today. I went to drop the clutch out of this parking lot I was in and next thing I know the car is running like crap almost like a choking noise, it made a weird rattling noise when I reved up the engine I pulled over to the side of the road and look at the engine. Nothing externally was different. I then turned on the car. It had to have the choke all the way on and it was burning out black smoke. Then the smoke cleared and I only experienced the rattling noise on the revs. I had to have it towed home because it wouldn't start, I couldn't get it to turn over at all. I tried to pop the clutch on my very hilly driveway and had no luck the rpm would only go up to 100 or 200 and that was it, it was like the clutch was slowing it up or something was limiting it. I also had difficulty shifting a little bit. Well is this all very vague or what? I need to get this car running because it is my daily driver. The starter will turn the engine no problem but it just will not fire at all.

let me know

frankenstein Z

I check to make sure the car has plenty of spark which it does and I also I checked at the floats and it is getting plenty of fuel. I have been searching the forums and some of the flywheel problems people have sound alot like the ones I am experiencing, but I haven't heard anyone saying their car will not even start because of it.

FRankenstein

Z

I'm not expert but from the description you gave us sounds like an internal engine problem. That rattling noise could very well be a valve issue, I'm not sure what kind of problem a fly wheel could present but thinking about it the only problem i could see is if the clutch had binded itself to the flywheel. When you say drop the clutch were u actually dropping the thing to get your wheel to spin or just letting it out?

If the clutch had binded itself to your flywheel I suppose it could stop the engine spinning freely and cause it to stall.

Maybe some more descriptions of where the noise is/was comming from and maybe someone else will be able to chime in and give an explanation.

Good Luck.

Pull the valve cover off and see if a rocker arm has popped off. I've also had valve keepers pop out and then the springs and hat were rattling around with the valve just dangling in there getting pummeled by the piston.

Took off the valve cover and everything looks okydoky. I can't get the engine to turn over at all. It get pops a little bit but it never turns over, it cranks freely though.

I thought it might be timing which is why I took off the valve cover but I don't see any thing wrong, but I don't know where else to look. I got down underneath to loosen the clutch and the spring had trans. fluid on it. Also when I tried to pop the clutch down my driveway the car made a really weird noise, like a grinding noise.

After I had tried to pop the clutch earlier before the problem occured I had reved the car up and let the clutch out fast, droped the clutch, and I didn't really notice a problem right away it spun out a little and then took off. The freeway entrance was like less then a quartermile from where I spun out. It happen kinda abruptly I can't remeber if there was a pop or not before it all started but the engine started shaking and running like @#$@. I lossed alot of power I had to go down a gear before I could really get going and it was so bad I decided to turn over to the side. Like I said from the look of the engine everything was fine. Got back in the car it started up with some black smoke and god aweful noises like maybe it was missin or but it was running horrible. I wouldn't have drivin it any more but I was going to be late for work and I just got the job. So I drove off and everytime I would give it gas it would make a noise that was definitely mechanical and it kinda sounded like my two cycle motorcycle when I rev it. I had the choke up high because that was the only way the car would run, if I just kinda let that gas the car and hit the accelerater the car would go a little better but the it was still running like #@#$, however when I hit the accelerater it would make that weird noise. Well I got to work and took another look at the engine and saw nothing. When I came back out after work the engine wouldn't start and I had to have it towed. The car has plenty of spark and plenty of gas but I can't get it to fire.

Please tell me someone has an idea on this, I need this car like I need air.

Frankenstein Z

From what you've told us it sounds like a valve has broken or something like it.

Do a compression test on all cylinders to determine wheather it's an internal engine problem.

The fact that it made an awfull grinding noise when u tried to give it a roll start would indicate something internal on the engine.

Anyone else have any ideas????

I got the car started by putting gas into the cylinders and it started up. It smoked horrible. It doesn't really sound right but I can't place whats wrong. I was completely off on the noise, when I press down on the accelerator the car makes a loud clicking noise and it only does this while I am driving it if it is sitting idle in the driveway it sounds fine.

Ideas anyone?

Frankenstein Z

I had it running today but found out that it is only running on three cylinders the others won't fire. I was thinking it would be timing but shouldn't it be back firing if the timing is off. So then I thought that maybe I put desiel in the car. I don't know if the car could even run with it in but that is the only thing I could come up with. The smoke out that back is white and it smells like burnt gas. It can't be the valve because I have three cylinders working. So what could this be.

Frankenstein Z

upset and confused.....................:(