IGNORED

Smog stuff removal

TX240Z

Hi everyone, I'm new here and relatively new to the Datsun world. I acquired my '70 240Z last year and have been fiddling with it just a little bit to learn more about it. Last month, the pulley on the smog pump started squealing quite loud so I took the belt off. I don't really see the need to replace it, so I'd like to take the rest of the associated plumbing and spare parts off of it. I've searched for days on various forums trying to get as much information as I can on how to remove all of this and I've seen so many different do's and don'ts that I end up getting more confused. The reason I'm doing this is purely aesthetic. I know I probably won't gain anything out of it other than a cleaner look, which is what I'm after. 

So...my questions are regarding the picture I've attached. 

Red Circled Item 1 - What is this and how is it removed? I know it's part of the removal process. Does it just twist off? What BSPT size thread do I need to use to plug that area once removed?

Red Circled Item 2 - This hose going from the air cleaner to the pump, do I plug this after removal or just leave it open?

I believe I have the Anti-Backfire valve correctly labeled. The other 2 arrows with question marks, what are those and what are their functions? I know they all come off too, I'm just curious what their purpose is.    

Lastly, are there any other recommendations? 

I greatly appreciate the help and I look forward to contributing in the future. 

Happy Motoring

IMG_03221.jpg

Here's pretty much the same picture with stuff removed. A couple of comments... I have the 6 to 1 ceramic coated headers so no air injection ports on the exhaust manifold. you'll need to plug those... or go the header route. The pipe on the air cleaner that has the hose to the pump will need to be plugged or else you'll have an unfiltered air passage to the carbs. What you see in the position of the air pump is my A/C compressor.

IMG_20180102_172706.jpg

Edited by w3wilkes

2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Save and put all of those smog items in a nice box for any future owners.  Without that stuff, you are probably lowering the value of your car by about $5K. 

Good point. In today's world these cars are old enough that none of the original equipment should be discarded. It affects resale.