IGNORED

E31 Engine Tick

Maritimer

Sure enough, took it to the local engine shop and two valves were sunk. A couple seats, some levelling and a seat of tower shins later and this is my pattern. Sharpie test looks good but the blue dye I was using wipes a bit much, these patterns look better?

5BCBFDBE-4ABB-4916-B4C5-9DC6B6613F1A.jpeg

27A8D3BE-B88F-4265-A775-14BB728A30EC.jpeg

If they don't extend off of the edge of the pad then they should be good.  Hopefully the pads don't have too much wear, no bumps or grooves from past wear to cause problems.  

You're in one of those situations where it's hard to tell how far to go.  People have replaced everything with brand new and wiped a cam lobe.  Others have not paid much attention and used their old parts and come out okay.  I'm going to guess that it will run fine.  But, there's really no way to guarantee.

What did you mean by "leveling"?  And how/why did you decide to shim the cam(?) towers?  Did you have the head shaved"  Curious.

Absolutely unknown machine work history on the motor, just know it had a slight warp from a overheat and a valve job done at some point meaning it probably got planed. Called the guys at Rebello about getting parts etc. and they advised me on the shims. It’s only got a .010 (rock auto mystery meat) shim right now. Valves were all at different heights, most in spec but not all so new seats to level out the bad ones.

Since you just put in a new cam and rocker arms and they survived the initial startup, apparently,  it doesn't seem like you can do much more to be safe.  Seems like it's time to just run it and hope.

Good luck.