IGNORED

1980 280zx ECU Swap Dilemma

12meese

So I believe the ECU on my 1980 280zx went bad, so I ordered a new one off of ebay to test it. But there was a problem: they sent me one for an for a 1981 280zx. I was going to send it back, but before I did that I thought I'd ask; would it work on my car? I did some research online and found that it should, but I didn't get anything definite. Does anyone know if the one year difference in the make of the ECU will affect that car?

The plugin looks the same if that makes any difference.

The part number I got was A11-618-427.

I believe the part number I need A11-604-420

Edited by 12meese

420 shows as a 79 ECU.

Many of the ECU changes seem to be more for emissions reasons, I think.  It probably won't hurt to try it just to see if the ECU is your problem.  The main inputs will be the same, there's really nothing to damage.

• Like 1

I think it shows that the computer number doesn't matter that much.  Nissan probably switched over as inventory ran out.  Your 1980 is probably an early build date 1980 so it got the last of the "1979" ECU's.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...