1980 280zx Fuel Pump won't shut off. - Classic ZX - 2nd to 4th Generation - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

1980 280zx Fuel Pump won't shut off.

Featured Replies

I have a 1980 280zx and it when I put the key in to on position, the fuel pump turns on and floods the engine with gas, causing the engine to lock in place. Any idea of what might be causing that?

That's not a fuel pump problem it's an injector or cold start valve problem.  One of those is stuck open.  The pump should be able to run continuously without flooding the engine.

Could be the ECU or it could be a short circuit on the injector wiring.

How long have you had it?

  • Author

I've had it for about a year

  • Author

I replaced the injectors and the cold start valve. So I'm guessing it probably the computer then?

Edited by 12meese

Don't guess. Test.  Disconnect all of the injectors and the CSV and see if they still allow fuel through.  Best to do that test with a pressure gauge, or by removing all of them and watching for leaks.

Or disconnect the ECU and see if they leak.

Why did you replace the injectors and CSV?

  • 5 years later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Hey, I just wanted to follow up in case anyone was wondering—turns out it was the ECU/computer after all. Swapped it out all those years ago, and everything has been running perfectly. Appreciate your advice to test instead of just guessing. Helped me narrow it down and get it fixed a lot quicker. Thanks for the help!

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.