IGNORED

'71 240z Project

SgtAngus

Hello,

As a number of folks have asked about my car in my 5 speed for sale thread I thought I'd start a little build thread.

A little over six years ago I found the car in Smithers, B.C. and arranged to buy it. The seller has accumulated a bunch of spares for it as he had been storing it in his garage for a number of years waiting for his son to get old enough to restore the car together. Unfortunately, his son did not care for cars at all- bad for Dad, good for me.

Having shipped the spares pallet, he drove HLS30-10714 3 hours to Prince George and met me there. We did the deal and I brought the trove home to Calgary, where I lived at the time.IMG_00000168.jpgIMG_00000169.jpg 

Note the classy exhaust extender he used to keep from gassing himself on the drive there...

I got it home and covered it for a few years as work was all consuming and I wasn't ready to begin the project.

We moved to Dunmore and got a bigger garage in the bargain. I made good use of the exhaust extender and drove it 3 more hours on the highway to our new place.  Painful with a 4 speed and stock engine!  Once there, the Datsun moved inside and a year or so later the project began.
First up was pulling the drivetrain.

20190203_213545.jpg

Then came removal of everything else and lots of labelling.

20190805_161525.jpg

Then stripping the whole car to bare metal.  A little paint stripper, and a lot of paint stripping wheels!

20190804_140430.jpg

After spraying the bare metal with Ospho, I began stitch welding the unibody.

Resized_20191228_153245.jpeg

The battery tray was in mint condition but as I'm placing the battery in back I removed the tray with a spot weld cutter.  Anybody need a clean '71 battery tray? While doing the engine compartment stitch welding I cleaned up the fender wells and firewall.

The engine compartment welding is now done and this weekend I got a good start on the interior reinforcements. Got the passenger side floor, seat mounts, and rear bulkhead completed.  Also added a pair of stylistic elements to the rear bulkhead.

Resized_20200223_173207.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...