IGNORED

Engine initial timing issue..

jackboxxx

Ive been in the middle of an engine upgrade for my 72 240Z  from the 2.4 to a 2.8.  I traded the engine for some other work a friends car he freshly rebuilt this 2.8 engine drove it a few hundred miles then decided to go v8 in his Z. I have driven his Z with this 2.8 motor it ran great, smooth clean running engine. anyways fast forward to me installing the motor, which was given to me as a long block basically, I transfered my SU carbs, basic electrical, alternator, regulator coil etc..new exhaust, and other minor things that needed replacing rather than transfering like hoses, cooling items and such. 

SO...heres where the problem starts:  I had to transfer the oem 1972 distributor assy which worked fine in the old motor standard single point setup. I should have thought ahead and checked the engine for top dead center 1st but I did not. I just lined up the distributor and popped it in.  everything else is connected I have fuel and spark but..it wont fire at all. so I read a bit and my understanding is the engine needs to be at top dead center when installing the distributor?   so..I pull the distributor, I hand crank the engine around till #1 piston is at rest and valves are closed...the rockers are loose and the timing mark is at zero at the crank mark. then I marked the distributor below the cap at the #1 mark and took the cap off expecting the rotor to be pointing to the #1 mark I made...but its not. Its like 90 degrees off...I added some pics below to show how I lined it all up but its like im missing something..to get everything in sync so it will fire up. right now it just cranks. Ive checked fuel delivery Ive tried starting fluid just in case...nothing.  checked spark at coil wire and spark plugs its sparking.  ive adjusted the distributor in several positions and usually you can get an L series to at least cough and sputter or run badly at some point..but nothing.

Its the rotor not lining up thats is really bothering me..should be at #1 ( i think )  anyone have any ideas???

cylinder 1 at TDC.jpg

number 1 marked on distributor.jpg

rotor 90 degrees off from mark.jpg

timing mark at zero.jpg

I'll take a shot of it when I get home, im sure its not where it should be at11:30.  My guess is itll be around 8 or 9 oclock.  but note I did install it at the 11:30 position but without regard for where TDC was. ill get back to you in a couple hours with the pic. Thanks