IGNORED

Idling makes him sick!

Alfadog

Hi guys,

Another problem, I think it's to do with the carbs, and I have a feeling its something to do with running rich... but I dunno

After idling for a while (few minutes) my car goes up to 2000-2500 reasonably OK, but then splutters and chokes and has a hard time going any higher. Once he's being driven for a while it returns to normal and he'll rev freely.

I was idling for a very long time on a slight decline and then drove off, only to be restricted by the car, which wouldn't go very fast at all - anyuthing above 2000 was sluggish and no power at all, I drove for a while (couple of kays) annoying everyone behind me, and then he ran perfect after that!

What do you think could be the problem?

George - my Z is a male!!! If you want proof, just look at the bonnet! LOL

I had my tank dropped and inspected (no rust!) and my lines flushed last time. Strange thing is, I didn't even think it could have somethign to do with that :stupid:

I'll check it after lunch!

Originally posted by Alfadog

George - my Z is a male!!! If you want proof, just look at the bonnet! LOL

Sounds a bit like my Norweigian Forest Cat, given to me as a female only to be discovered later as a male and still called her, she or it, but never him!

Yeah

Thanks Brett for asking the question. I had the same problem as well wondering how to start a new thread.

Tried my first one the other day and it is still in cyberspace though. Ended up asking a question by piggy backing on to someone else.

BTW - great response Alpha - you warped bas***rd:D

I checked and fuel seems to be getting along fine.

I'm pretty certain now that it's (safe way to refer to it I guess) running rich, you can see smoke coming out the exhaust (black) and its generally very stinky (I was standing around the rear for a while and my eyes started to hurt)

I'm going to try to lean the mixture a bit, but first I have to work out how!!!! LOL :stupid:

I think it started a week or two ago... noticed it after a traffic light it stuttered once or twice... strange I thought maybe it's because I am running out of fuel

Now it's a bit worse, where it goes on for longer and in lower RPM

Hard to tell when it started though...

What am I checking the spark plugs for? Dirtiness?

If the plugs are black & sooty, then it's either to rich or it could be ignition.

Thats another common problem, point gap. Check that as well, after all if he is getting weak spark, then you get incomplete combustion and hesitation.