IGNORED

L6 Engine Calculator

Mike

the KA 24 e pistons is out of a Nissan Pintara 4 cylinder. the L 14 rods are out of a datsun 510 that had a 1400cc engine in it. very very rare. i tired to hunt down spares for my engine, searched australia, america and japan for them and couldnt find them.

the L14 rod is longer than the L24 rod.

not sure of the compression of this combo, check the engine calculator, though mine is about 10.2 to 1, both my block and pistons have been decked.

I should have been a little clearer on this. Dome pistons won't cause any problems, providing they don't hit anything on the way up. What I meant was not to have the crown of the piston too high or too low (that's the outer edge of the piston).

Brett, I cant see how your pistons are not hitting the quench area of the P90 head without having allot of chamber opened up or a thicker head gasket?

You're certainly on the right track though, the bottom end combination is a good one but don't like those pistons, especially when they are poking out the top like that. I would have gone with a lighter & shorter skirt design piston like the SR20, VG30 or even RB30. These allow for less friction & reciprocating mass, & we all know what that means, less drag in the engine & quicker revs. But you have already achieved most of this Brett by using the longer rod.

152kw@wheels ain't bad at all.

yeah i thought that would cause a problem too. walter fath built the engine originally with an e88 head and a spacer plate, when i changed to the P90 from memory the words F%$#*ng close were used here. but it all bolted together ok and runs fine. the head gasket is a standard thickness graphite gasket.

ive been thinking about different slugs for a while whats the pin height and diameter on a VG30 piston?

ill do a check on that piston/deck height again

• 1 month later...

G'day all adding to this forum, I just purchased a 1982 Mark 2 280ZX 2+2, bare metal project and the engine is an L24 the head is N42 the injectors are all 280ZX Mark 1 with Mark 2 ECU and airbox.

L28 670741 was removed and block number L24 458640 was fitted.

N42 head casting is apparent and all the injector stuff refitted less some bypassing for LPG.

The car runs on both fuels at the flick of a switch, ULP and LPG and has been worked on as all the welsh plugs are bright new cad-plated and engine was fitted in 2000.

We haven't started it yet as car is in respray but unable to contact the previous owner how can we sus out what this engine is configured like. ???

I guess we do compression check

(What numbers are we looking for in comp pressures).

We might be able to remove the sump and do a stroke and bore without distrubing things.

Also this engine has an ENZED oil loop with a high pressure braided hose lopping in and out of the engine from the block, from just above the sump gasket.

What L24's had oil cooling fittings? What car is this sucker off, we can't find any 240Z's or K's or C's that ran oil coolers..?

This one is bypassed so what should we use for oil cooling?

How large an oil cooling radiator is required, where do we get one, what pressure is required to be withstood and where best to mount it on a 280ZX??

• 7 years later...