IGNORED

Moulding-ectomy

ensys

RE: '77 280Z

Gentle Readers:

I need to understand the procedure for gently removing the door's upper chrome moulding (w/squeegee), to be accomplished without (with the emphasis on "without") any damage to the existing (in this case, original) paint on the door or surrounding elements. As I understand it, there are no actual fasteners involved, and that the moulding mounts with clips.

Can it be done with the lowered window in place, or must it be removed from the door? Would it help to cut off the original (and now ossified) rubber squeegee?

What about the inner fuzzy strip? Must the window or door card be removed?

A couple of the few "first-time" efforts still left to me on the Old Z Drvr, and I am loathe to cause any damage while I replace some perished soft parts on the doors.

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The upper stainless steel trim with the squeegee can be removed by inserting a small screw driver in the end of the trim and levering off the top of the pinch weld, once you have it started lay something like a popsicle stick on the flat lip just below the trim to protect it and carefully pry up.

The inner fuzzy is attached to the door card with heavy staples, while difficult to pry up the folded ends of the staples it can be done then fuzzy is pried off.

• Like 2

Would I be correct to assume that the end being pried is that at the door trailing (latch) end, and if so, then Step 1 would be to remove the window frame above the door?

Thanks.