IGNORED

Door latch replacement? Service?

Grubb240Z

(If somebody knows a thread that deals with it, let me know - I couldn't find one)

The outside door handle on our '72 240Z doesn't open the door anymore. Its functionality deteriorated over a couple of weeks and now doesn't work at all. The inside handle opens the door, but not all that well.

Looking at some door latch mechanisms I have seen online, it looks like there are some return sprints and obviously some moving parts. Is there a common service that can be performed on these to make them work better, or is replacement the only option. And if replacement, does anybody know where to go to find them? MA seems to be out of them.

Maybe the fix will be more apparent when we get the door panel off (which we haven't done before).

Any advice?

Thanks!

Be careful removing the door panel. It is easy to tear the mounts out of the backer panel. A good removal tool or a wide "5 way" helps to not damage the door panel. Wrap metal tools with a little tape to protect the paint. Getting the door latch out with the window frame in place can be difficult. I don't remember if it's possible or not. Someone else may chime in. Many times latches can be cleaned up and rehabbed to make them right. You will know more once it's out. Sometimes it's old hard grease that makes them inoperable.

17 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Be careful removing the door panel. It is easy to tear the mounts out of the backer panel. A good removal tool or a wide "5 way" helps to not damage the door panel. Wrap metal tools with a little tape to protect the paint. Getting the door latch out with the window frame in place can be difficult. I don't remember if it's possible or not. Someone else may chime in. Many times latches can be cleaned up and rehabbed to make them right. You will know more once it's out. Sometimes it's old hard grease that makes them inoperable.

Thanks, Patcon. It's funny - after my original posting this morning, I found your thread on hybridz from a Google search and I learned quite a bit from it. I guess I'll have to get the door panel off and see what's going on under there.
First I have to wait for my son to come back with it from Cars and Coffee. Always more fun to shine it up and show it off than to work on it, I guess :)

24 minutes ago, Grubb240Z said:

Thanks, Patcon. It's funny - after my original posting this morning, I found your thread on hybridz from a Google search and I learned quite a bit from it. I guess I'll have to get the door panel off and see what's going on under there.
First I have to wait for my son to come back with it from Cars and Coffee. Always more fun to shine it up and show it off than to work on it, I guess ?

Which thread? Are you sure it's mine?

Looks like the issue is pretty much fixed. Once we got the wndow crank off (PO had used a mangled homemade clip), things flowed pretty well. By positioning the window up and down to see what we had access to in various positions, we realized what the problem was. The nylon nut at the end of the rod from the outside handle needed to be adjusted down (loosened) because the handle was running out of travel before the rod was pushed down far enough. In addition, cleaning and re-lubricating the rotating points we could reach, the whole thing is working better than ever.

I thought that once we had removed the door panel we'd have better access to things, but the inside of the door stamping itself gets in the way a lot. Not looking forward to the day we need to do serious work on the door mechanisms.

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

Which thread? Are you sure it's mine?

That's funny. You're right - it wasn't your post. The names were similar enough (he is Pac_Man), that I didn't notice they were different. So thanks to you, too, Pac_Man, wherever you are. The community of Z owners is a good one!

49 minutes ago, Grubb240Z said:

That's funny. You're right - it wasn't your post. The names were similar enough (he is Pac_Man), that I didn't notice they were different. So thanks to you, too, Pac_Man, wherever you are. The community of Z owners is a good one!

I thought so. On Hybridz I don't go by Patcon.

The access in the door is limited but it can all be done with out too much hassle. You just have to know the proper sequence. Glad you got it fixed!