IGNORED

Is my car correctly grounded? Negative pole seems loose.

jalexquijano

Negative pole seems loose. All connections should be tight. I don't like the neg. battery cable clamp that I see and have used. The wire clamp rarely tightens satisfactorily and even if it does, the exposed wires corrode under the clamp. Your local parts store will have a battery cable with a chassis ground wire.

On 1/16/2019 at 2:35 PM, Mark Maras said:

Negative pole seems loose. All connections should be tight. I don't like the neg. battery cable clamp that I see and have used. The wire clamp rarely tightens satisfactorily and even if it does, the exposed wires corrode under the clamp. Your local parts store will have a battery cable with a chassis ground wire.

I turn the bracket around to get a tight connection. Is this fine?

20190119_113319.jpg

20190119_113404.jpg

It will probably work for a while but two things need improvement. The first problem is the wrong size connector on the chassis ground wire to the cable clamp. The weak link in that style battery clamp is the exposed, bare copper wires at the end of the main cable. The wires will start to oxidize very soon. The oxidation starts under the clamp, unseen. Replace the cable with one that has a dedicated ground wire. Probably less than $25.00 at your local parts store. You'll be glad you did. One less thing to screw with and another item checked off the list.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, Mark Maras said:

It will probably work for a while but two things need improvement. The first problem is the wrong size connector on the chassis ground wire to the cable clamp. The weak link in that style battery clamp is the exposed, bare copper wires at the end of the main cable. The wires will start to oxidize very soon. The oxidation starts under the clamp, unseen. Replace the cable with one that has a dedicated ground wire. Probably less than $25.00 at your local parts store. You'll be glad you did. One less thing to screw with and another item checked off the list.

Just sourced this one.  Thanks for your recommendations mark. I accidentally blew the fusible link shrink wrap off so maybe will order one if needed.

20190213_192733.jpg

20190213_192502.jpg

20190213_192955.jpg

• Like 1