IGNORED

Honda wiper motor swap / linkage problem

Pochie45566

Hey guys, my wiper motor gave out while driving my Z home in the middle of a huge rain storm. Was a terrible time getting her home safe and never want to do that again. So I started the Honda motor swap, but once my center wiper linkage came off, I can’t figure out how it went on in the first place. I feel like I am missing some parts. Anyone know how this thing goes back together? Is there a section of the FSM I am missing? 

DBE4985C-C66D-4FBE-890A-6ABBB67E4DCA.jpeg

E6FB6F36-6752-4F98-9582-19AE8BFCAD06.jpeg

Someone will post a link soon, I'm sure (there is at least one definitive CZCC thread on this topic).

BUT...

As part of your upgrade, make sure you do some maintenance too.  The primary cause of slow wipers and motor failure lies in the cowl-mounted bushings for the wiper arm drive spindles.  Over the years, they goop up with a metallic residue that causes binding.  Clean the bushings and the drive spindles thoroughly and then add new grease (pref. synthetic). Makes a big difference.

2 hours ago, Namerow said:

Someone will post a link soon, I'm sure (there is at least one definitive CZCC thread on this topic).

BUT...

As part of your upgrade, make sure you do some maintenance too.  The primary cause of slow wipers and motor failure lies in the cowl-mounted bushings for the wiper arm drive spindles.  Over the years, they goop up with a metallic residue that causes binding.  Clean the bushings and the drive spindles thoroughly and then add new grease (pref. synthetic). Makes a big difference.

Someone has been in here before me, the linkage moves very smoothly without any problems. I don’t even think my wiper motor died. I just think the linkage broke in the center there 

Does anyone have one of these center linkage pieces they could sell me? Also I read somewhere that there’s an E clip that holds it together and I could just find a new one and put it on. Anyone know what size? And how to install. 

Edited by Pochie45566

Well guys, I am in pretty deep and kind of lost. Maybe you all can help me here. 

1. My 78’ 280z wiper motor wiring is completely different from the FSM! The FSM shows yellow/black, blue/red, blue yellow, black. I have yellow, blue/red, blue/white, black, then two more black! The wiper motor in there was not stock and those two extra wires were going directly into the side of the motor. I followed the wiring diagram, just supplementing blue/yellow for blue white and the wipers work. But only at one speed. Any ideas? I followed the wiring diagram. Bet it has something to do with those two black wires. Edit: If I could find a chart showing voltage of each wire that would be very helpful  

2. When cutting the wiper motor shaft down to size to fit the Z linkage, I didn’t pay attention to the angle at which I cut them. So I looked at the Z motor, which is cut at an angle like this /. And mine is cut more like this \. I believe this is not allowing my wipers to park correctly because as much as I try to adjust them to park at the bottom, they end up right about in the middle. My procedure for setting the park was disconnecting linkage, letting motor get to park position, setting wipers on desired park position. But still, they park in the middle. 

Really In need of some help here, sorry for the lengthy post. Thanks guys. 

F5505FBE-AB91-416A-8543-19DD5A47EB72.png

Edited by Pochie45566