IGNORED

76 280z Restoration

Wass

Something to consider is buying a rotisserie instead of building it.  After all, you're going to be working under the thing!  I bought one from Eastwood for $1400 and sold it when I was done for $850 after using it for 3 years.  Not a bad deal in my mind.

Mathew is going to be selling his soon. See if it can be broken down and shipped. PM him and make him an offer. I think you will find as I did that buying the steel stcok costs almost as much as buying a fabricated rotisserie. Although, you're in Texas and steel is cheaper there.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the recommendations re: rotisserie. After much contemplation with one of my friends we decided to do the cheapest route - modified harbor freight engine stands. It'll be good welding practice, we have all the needed tools already, and I picked up some extra steel for the parts we want to add/modify. Crunching the numbers it was drastically cheaper to do DIY over prebuilt, and another couple hundred bucks cheaper to do Harbor Freigh DIY over DIY from scratch. We have a chop saw, welder, etc so if it turns out poorly we can always modify with upgrades like adjustable vertical positioning (which would be super nice to have!). I'll make sure to record the rotisserie build for others who are interested.

Cost:

• $100 for 2x 1000lb HF engine stands 
  • $40 for 1x 750lb HF engin stand
  • $120 square steel for supports, braces
  • $50 for upgraded casters (not strictly necessary, but wanted fully rotating and locking wheels with higher weight rating. HF has 2 wheels on each stand that do not swivel.)
  • -------------------------
  • $310

Also another "old" update video of the teardown. Removing the front bumper and quarter panels wasn't too bad, but having a second person would have made it go much quicker!