IGNORED

78 280Z ignition condenser

kutukutu1

Hello,

I started the car the other day, it was hard to start, but it idled fine.

Took it for a drive and i saw the amp meter dropping to 8 and oscillating violently as well as the car sputtered and could see the rpm dropping real low.

Looked at all the ignition stuff and saw the condenser wire had broken off.

I have a parts car and took the condenser form it and it still does the same thing. I am unsure of the condition of the parts car condensor, its been sitting for over 20 years.

Parts are not available, i bought a 22 microfarad condenser from another car in hope to see if it works. ANy suggestion?

1 hour ago, kutukutu1 said:

Looked at all the ignition stuff and saw the condenser wire had broken off.

I have a parts car and took the condenser form it and it still does the same thing.

That was a coincidence.  A red herring, as they say.  The condenser would have no effect at all if the wire was broken.

You might have a short somewhere or a voltage regulator/alternator going bad.  Your car has a voltmeter, not an ammeter, so what you saw was voltage dropping to 8, when it should have been 12+ or better.  That's a sign that your battery voltage is low and that the alternator was kicking on and off.  When it was on the voltage would jump to charging voltage, when it was off it would drop to the level of a dying battery with a load on it.

Check your alternator is the short suggestion.