IGNORED

help Z won't idel

Znut73

ok Finally got the new motor to start now the problem is that after it starts it wont idel it revs high and then starts to die give a little gas (not much) and up goes the RPM's real high.(not good) and then gas pops through the carbs(down drafts:sick: ) then it just slowly dies out does anybody know what can be causing this thanks for your time Zclub

Give us a little more info like, what kind of engine, which carbs, what is the timing set at?

Did the engine go through a complete rebuild and are you sure the timing is correct?

first check for any vacumn leaks, check timing, set carbs to a general run position meaning like a come from the factory position

have you also made sure all thing are functioning properly, ie fuel pump, filters clean, your getting spark or it wouldnt start.

do a basic rundown, of the norm things that would cause it not to run, then see what happens and keep us posted

OK I got it to finaly idel but it is still way to high and it does not want to seem to kick down even when i stab the throtle the only way it drops is if i putthe car in gear and hold the clutch (just before the tires want to move) i have even messed with the idel screw on the Carb itself and nothing.one more thing it starts to backfire through the carbs every so offten and some times it doesn't want to fire other times it fires on the first try.when it backfires through the carbs gas pops out. Does anybody have a clue on what to do if so thanks.

It has vacume leak writen all over it. Dont have a clue what you dident re connect in the way of smogg stuff but I shure would start there. Good luck make sure you have an extinguisher at hand , things could get exciting. Timing to advanced could cause the backfire thru the carbs , so could be lean pop due to too much air , vac. leak. or some thing disconnected.

ok what are the main things that need to be hooked up? I was thinking the same thing beandip thanks for the confermation. Maybe i took something off that needs to be there does anyone know? I think i experinced my first anyourism because this car is making me:sick:

for starters is this enging going in a early Z and using zero emissions stuff? If thats the case , almost all of the enissions stuff was connected to a vac line some where make sure the vacume line connections at the engine end are plugged off. One thing the vacume advance on the dist. does NOT take manifold vac but carb vacume. I have zero experience with webbers or there manifolds, was this the set up that you were using before on the old engine ? Do you have the brake booster connected ? you said the car is a stick I believe , if not there is a vacume line to the automatic trans. . Other than these things get some carb cleaner and spray around the carbs and intake manifold with the engine running at idle if you can, and you should see a change in RPMs if you spray cleaner on vac, leak.