IGNORED

Silvermine Power Steering

ScooterZ76

Since I trashed my shoulder I thought it would be a good idea to put power steering in my '76 280Z.  I bought the kit from Silvermine Motors.  There are no installation instructions supplied. The column is pretty straight forward but I don't really know where to put the control unit.  Al lhe says is attach it to the firewall. There doesn't seem to be a lot of space on the driver's side.  I have the console out as I doing a refurb of the whole driveline.  I can't do the wiring right now as the new engine comes with a new ECU. Anyone have any experience with this kit?

Got the column loose hung last night. That's a bitch by yourself.  Got to have an extra set of hands to fasten mount plate to firewall.  Still looking for a good spot for the control module.  There's about 3' of wire on the column so it has to be in that range, but I'm having a tough time finding a spot.  That's my main hang up.  Plus I'm not much at wiring.  I've got a buddy that is but he's busy with a project of his own.  Hope he can be my ace in the hole.

• 1 month later...

Getting column into final location is a bit tricky.  Got to unbolt top bolts, slide it in and out of lower clamp, everything still loose, until you can swing motor up behind the vent hose.  Then tighten bolts.   Finally got the ECU mounted in passenger side footwell.  Had to take silver bracket off front of heater box in front so that wires from column can be run underneath.  Plugs are too big to fish thru under heater box.  The plugs in box are from steering column and just reach.  Hoping that other wires that will have to run to engine ECU will fish under heater and won't have to take apart again. Not hard, just PIA.

P Steer ECU location.jpg

All electric.  See Silvermine Motors website for more photos.  The kit is pretty slick.  But instructions are very lacking.  Motor on column mounts to right and above column when installed and fit is very snug.  2 firewall  plates are supplied as the 240 and 280 are different.

Silvermine P Steer Kit.jpg

Pretty slick. When you get it all sorted how about a report on any heat that may be generated. Also things like feedback through the column or any vagueness. It looks compact enough which is good and I could see how it may take a fews days or so to get it properly sorted. Let the community know if you would

It won't be running for few weeks yet.  This is part of full new drivetrain rebuild.  Rebello 3 liter FI stroker, 325 hp, upgraded 5 speed trans, 3.90" diff with Quaife.  Engine is in transit. should arrive next week.  Then get it all in car and wired.  My biggest issue right now is what old wiring needs to be ripped out without taking something I need.