Hodgimus-maximus

Just ordered BC Racing coil overs and a big brake kit

Hi all,

I just ordered a set of BC Racing coilers and a big brake kit from TTT.  I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on a machine shop or welder in the D.C. / northern Virginia metro area.

Thanks

Chris

It's really not that hard to do yourself if you have a welder or a friend with one....

hmm I do have a friend from church with one.  

But now that I think about it what I do need is a machine shop so that I can have my spindle pins pressed out. I think it will be cheaper than the damage done to my psyche and heart from the frustration of getting them out myself.  

But anyways the coil overs and the brakes are really nice, Can't wait to get them put on but I do have to buy a few more tools and fluids before I get started.  its kinda crazy how light the wildwood calipers are though, only about a 4 lb.  for each front caliper and maybe 2 lb. for each rear caliper.

• Like 1

oooh shiny!!! 

wheee! I bet you would like a look at the TTT hand brake solution, though I think they get them from a British company that modifies wildwood brakes. but the back brakes calipers are considerably smaller than the front.

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

Why have I not seen that before? Is it on their site? I have rear wilwoods too...

• Like 1

You could try selling yours but yeah or you might be able to adapt silver mine motor rear big brake kit with duel calipers http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-280z/brake-upgrades/datsun-240z-260z-280z-rear-dual-caliper-wilwood-brake-upgrade-with-dedicated-cable-handbrake-caliper-stock-cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Mark,

You can have a rear brake; I just checked the brakes and the only difference between , you will have buy this backing plate from silver mint motors http://www.silverminemotors.com/datsun/datsun-280z/brake-kit-individual-parts/240z-260z-280z-dual-caliper-rear-wilwood-with-dedicated-cable-caliper-brackets-brake-upgrade-swap-kit

And these calipers  wilwood 120-120669 / 70

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/CaliperProd.aspx?itemno=120-12069-BK

which would bee an extra 500 USD + tax and Shipping but that way you could have and brake

The dimensions for the AZC and the SMM rear brakes are identical so it is an option though an expensive one.

Just a thought.

Edited by Hodgimus-maximus
    Added links

I saw that. Thanks.
    Just a hard pill to swallow after laying out all this money for the AZC kit.

So I’m working on getting the old brake stuff off of the car, and my brake line flair nuts will have to be vice gripped off. I was thinking of going back with Nickel Copper lines. Does anybody have a suggestion on a supplier they like/trust?

So I’m almost done putting everything back on the car except I need to change the hand brake cable. Looking under the car it looks like the only way I’ll be able to replace it is if I remove the diff and drive shaft?

Chris. Getting ready to purchase coil overs as well. I went ahead and purchased front and rear donor strut assemblies and will rebuild the donor parts. Have you purchased the BC parts yet? I’ll put my originals in storage once I get the donors rebuilt and modified

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Yep I bought them already and they are on the car. I haven’t driven with them yet because I have to redo my brake lines do to having to vice grip my the flairs nuts for my brake lines to install my big brake kit. Here is a pic of my dirty wheels with the big brakes behind themIMG_2007.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Well I finally found time and the motivation to put my new parts on and I thought I would post a little review. 

Review BC racing Coilovers

Well I Have my Big Brake kit and BC racing coilovers on the car and got to drive it around for about 40 or 50 miles before my fuel pump ore fuel pump relay when bad. I can say that the standard spring rates (I got the swift spring upgrade) you get from BC are a very nice ride not mushy and not to harsh/bone shattering.  I find my favorite ride setting is Is half way between soft and hard.  I can't comment on how it compares to stock since my car had lowering springs on it when I bought it. The adjustability is noticeable It can go stiff like a recreational track or road race car car as well as what I would imagine to be significantly softer than stock (80's Cadillac)  but again I can't comment on that since I have never felt stock. 

Review TTT Big Brake Kit with parking brake.

The kit comes with everything you need and is petty strait forward to install. The barking feels better than what I had before but I don't drive my car particularly hard and only did one emergency stop.  I don't think I have them bleed well enough since the peddle still feels little mushy.  It might be that I need a bigger master cylinder, from a 79 280zx, which I have but haven't installed yet.  The parking break will keep your car in place on a slight incline but if its a steep hill don't count on it holding the car in place.   That might be due to inadequate adjustment of my parking brake linkage.