IGNORED

Steering column shell

Packerz

I am looking for a steering column cover "clamshell"   1977280Z.   Specifically, the lower half panel with all molded mounts intact. Mine has broken mounting "towers" that hold the attaching screws to the upper shell mounts.  I have an upper shell with intact mountings.  Will consider buying the set if no one has just the lower panel and set is reasonably priced.  Please contact me directly at:   dbparker54@yahoo.com.    

Thank you!    Doug

If you can't find a replacement, the mounts can be repaired relatively easily. Most of mine had been broken off as well. I found some pens at my office that were approximately the same size as the mounts, then glued them in place and reinforced with some fiberglass. A bit fiddly, but worked really well.

IMG_4641.jpg

• Like 1

My column shell parts had similar problems (the styrene plastic that Nissan used for the housing pieces was not a good choice).  Although none of the towers were completely broken off, a couple were splitting away near the bottom.   I managed to glue the pieces back into place using krazee glue.  The repair is probably a bit fragile, but it's adequate.  My lower shell piece had a one-inch hairline crack that needed repairing.  I used krazee glue in the crack and then backed up the repair by gluing a piece of thin plastic sheet (from food packaging) onto the inside of the shell to provide some reinforcement.  I also did some sanding and 'coaxing' on the towers and the shell mating edges to try to get the shell halves to fit together flat and flush.   I gave the shell pieces a couple of coats of SEM 'Landau Black' paint afterwards.  I'm still not totally pleased with the way the two halves fit together, but they're a lot better than they were at the start.