IGNORED

Fuel sending unit rebuild possible?

slm7621

Hi I have an 83 280zx turbo and it has sat for about ten years. Before it had been put up it had a problem that couldn't be identified by the mechanics I took it to. It chugs real bad if you stomp it and the turbo never seems to spool up. So trying to get it back on the road I decided to do a complete once over from fuel tank to engine. When I pulled the sending unit out it had a wire loose and the filter had completely rotted off I took a bunch of pictures if they are needed. I am unable to find a new one under 400 dollars so I figured this one might be able to be rebuilt. Thanks for any helpIMG_0327.JPGIMG_0316.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_0308.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I think it was Wheee that had a great solution (pun intended) for cleaning up sending units. Submerge the sending unit in undiluted CLR for 24 + hours. I had one that was so crusty that the float wouldn't move. That one took about 48 hrs. in CLR. The sending unit came out free of corrosion and the rheostat worked great.

+1 on the CLR soak.  If you can't  rescue that one, there is always the salvage yard search or maybe a CL find.  Lots of ZX's out there for parts. That's probably your least expensive route.  Another option is Arizona Z where you send your old one for core/rebuild.  Not very cheap, but under 400.  https://zcarsource.com/fuel-systems/gas-tanks-components/gas-tank-sending-unit