IGNORED

Size of stock rear speakers?

jmead

I'm no car audio guy...so this is probably a stupid questions, but what size are the stock rear speakers? I just got done tearing my dash apart, removed the old stereo and prepped some of the connections for my CD player. The last guy did a terrible job, hacked the dash up, didn't mount it right, etc. In addition, he ran some tiny zip cord back to each of the speakers. I was planning on just going with a pair of 6x9's behind the seats, but figure I might as well upgrade the rears while I'm at it. Does anyone have any suggestions for some decent speakers that fit the stock locations? And also, is there a kit or something I can buy that will ease the mounting of the new stereo? Mainly I'm looking for some sort of place that extends say 3/4" of an inch around the face of the unit to cover up the whole in the dash. Thanks for any input

MSA makes a speaker box that replaces your existing rear interior trim panel in front of the taillights. The box hold two 6x9's and it tucks away very nice and out of sight almost. Just an option.

I do rememeber the original speakers and 5.25 is correct. My 74 only came with one speaker in the back

The speakers I was referring to, 5-1/4" are the ones behind the plastic side panels. The ones you would be able to see through the punched holes.

The only way you would have TWO speakers, would be if you had a later year (72+) car that had either been ordered with the STEREO option, or one that someone had retrofitted with the second speaker. The wiring harness for the radio and speakers was NOT set up for stereo speakers. Usually the second speaker (Left side) would be added by connecting to the first (Right Hand) speaker.

The original speakers had a small magnet and their depth would be nor more than an inch or so past the cone depth. So you're looking at maybe 3" in depth total. I don't know how much deeper you could go on the passenger side, as the fuel tank vent hoses go through the same area. I suppose that if you push and pull the hoses you could probably get a 5" deep co-axial in there, but that would probably start getting a bit tight.

The speaker box that MSA sells, is a REPLACEMENT for the Inside Tail Light Finisher. I've not seen one, but the premise is that it locates a pair of 6"x9" speakers where you currently have the access holes to your lights.

Myself, since I went with the stock radio, I just bought a pair of Radio Shack speakers and put them in there. Heck, I didn't even get co-axials. Then again, monaural sound, only two buttons for FM and a very directional antenna don't add up to a very high quality sound system. But, I'm not looking for High Fidelity sound in my car, I like the ride, the music just needs to be background.

2¢

Only one speaker? That is kinda...odd. Well, mine has two, I guess it must have been upgraded by the previous owner. I ordered a set of pioneer 2-ways, I'll see how those fit. If they don't work out I was planning on adding a set of 6x9s in the doors behind each seat anyway.

since their in the back.... "behind" our seats.... other than the 2+2 i think....

wouldnt we be able to get a dremmel tool or something, and some mounting hardware to get any other speaker sizes fit?

Because I may switch out my 6.5" Kenwoods from my Sentra into the 280Z...

too much work... or make it happen?

No hurt trying...like was mentioned, depth might be an issue on one side due to hoses, but I don't see any reason a 6 1/2+ would fit back there, its all in how its mounted. Personally, I'm still going to go with a few 6x9's or 4x6's mounted in the panels behind the seats. I should have the panels and speakers here within a week, I'll let everyone know how they fit