IGNORED

Restoring a Scissor Jack

TomoHawk

My jack seems to be working, AFAICT, but it's no longer new, and could use a bit of cleaning and new paint.  I suppose I could either scrub or glass-bead the surface, then repaint it and re-grease the screw.  I would prefer a longer crank handle tho.  Some appropriate safety or usage decals seem appropriate too. 

Getting one from the JY would save you the hassle of cleaning and painting, but are they really compatible?  IMO, the base has some size restrictions, and the head needs a slot for the pinched seam of the rocker/floor panels.

If you repainted it, is there a proper paint?  Unless you wanted a concourse-class jack, semi-gloss black or silver seems appropriate. Otherwise you could powder-coat it?  Getting the paint into the interior areas would be difficult unless you took it apart, cutting the hinge pins, which means you'll need to figure out what to replace them with and how to do that.

thxZ

• 3 weeks later...

It wiyld probably be easier to scrub it and paint the thing, but it has pins and joints with overlapped parts, so it would probably not be completely painted, unless you cut the pins, which I am not comfortable with, considering it needs to be very strong to lift the car.