IGNORED

Replacing Rear Shocks -- Spindle Pin Questions (of course)

thumper300zx

I have new rear shocks for my 71. Of course in my haste I start following Haynes instructions and quickly run into spindle pin removal issues. Started researching and found the long history of these pins. I have the set pins removed (which weren't bad). I started backing out one side with washers and the original nut. It's about 2" out but the threads are worn out now and I consider one side's pin destroyed. So, I pulled both sides by removing the inner side of the control arms. I have them off the car.

I'm not planning on doing any crazy suspension mods on my car. Just want to get the shocks in and get it back together. I could probably just throw one side back. That side I couldn't get the spindle pin to budge, so it's in there, but the threads are fine. The side I was working on will have to be replaced. I would be willing to replace the bushings -- if I do that, would I buy stock spindle pins and just put it all back together or do you go with the 5/8" pins?

Do you mean 5/8" bolts in place of the proper pins?  There was a whole thread about the 5/8" bolt on another forum.  At the end of it, people were grinding notches in the bolt for the lock pin, essentially making a factory pin.  It's good to know if the spindle pin supply dries up but there's no benefit to the 5/8" bolt over the pin.

Use a torch on the casting and the pin will be easier to remove.  The hole will expand.