IGNORED

Zinc plating: Do plastic parts survive?

x911

Absolutely, I just plated the same parts at home on Monday (Labor day).  Only problem is getting the zinc in the spring pocket (shadowing effect).  My rear deck limit stops don't have the fillers as shown above.  Not sure about commercial platers as I do my own electro plating at home.

Also, and probably obviously, the plastic part will shield the metal below from the plating process.  So, don't move the plastic when media blasting.

Edited by David F

I have been using the same plating solution for years now, so memory is vague.  But, the short answer is yes...I used a Vinegar/water solution with a bit of saccharin added in for brightness.  Lot's of good info online on how to electroplate.  I have some zinc chromate solution for the yellow look when I think it adds to the part, but I am not doing a purest's restoration of my car... just a refresh to make it look decent, mostly rust free, and reliable.  Consequently, most parts just end up bright galvanized for rust protection without resorting to clear lacquer which I thinks looks awful.

Edit:  Just noticed you are taking your parts to the platter.  Still, you should consider doing your own.

Edited by David F