IGNORED

Modern Car Stereo Receivers

TomoHawk

I haven't found any stereo install in my Z to be easy! The Retrosound this time or the Sony cassette I put in before. Very cramped behind the console. The Retrosound has a ton of cables - pre-amp outs 4 chans plus sub, 2 aux, 2 USB, microphone, antenna, then there's the 4 speakers if no power amp, switch lead if you have a power amp, both switched and always on power, ground and finally power antenna leads. Doing the rear bracket to brace the unit is a bugger. And lastly having to custom make the faceplate because Retrosound doesn't have 240Z faceplates anymore.

8 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

I haven't found any stereo install in my Z to be easy! The Retrosound this time or the Sony cassette I put in before. Very cramped behind the console. The Retrosound has a ton of cables - pre-amp outs 4 chans plus sub, 2 aux, 2 USB, microphone, antenna, then there's the 4 speakers if no power amp, switch lead if you have a power amp, both switched and always on power, ground and finally power antenna leads. Doing the rear bracket to brace the unit is a bugger. And lastly having to custom make the faceplate because Retrosound doesn't have 240Z faceplates anymore.

I've heard the rear bracket is tough, there isn't any kind of plug and play option.  Honestly, the CD player that came in mine is just sitting in there.  It doesn't move around much, I'm sure a CD would skip, but I just use the AUX to plug in my MP3 Player (sony walkman, which is like an Ipod)

Have you upgraded your speakers as well?  I'm pretty sure stock Z's only had 1 stock rear speaker, the other side had the same provisions, so i made a bracket to match.  Some PO also put speakers in the door panels, and I found a nice small "box" with some 5 1/2" speakers.  Much better, but it really needs an amplifier.

Someone had subwoofers/amp in it at one point, judging by the wires I found in the rear (power, RCA, remote).

• 3 weeks later...

AFAIK, the Zed has TWO speakers in the rear, the 240Z has them far back by the tail lamps, and the later cars had the under the window behind the seats.  I replaced my 4-inch stock speakers with better ones, to handle the 40W stereo, and I have no problem hearing the music.  You can also add the aftermarket speaker panel (with 6x9 speakers) that replaces the taillamp cover and rewire the stereo for much louder sound.

1 hour ago, TomoHawk said:

AFAIK, the Zed has TWO speakers in the rear, the 240Z has them far back by the tail lamps, and the later cars had the under the window behind the seats.  I replaced my 4-inch stock speakers with better ones, to handle the 40W stereo, and I have no problem hearing the music.  You can also add the aftermarket speaker panel (with 6x9 speakers) that replaces the taillamp cover and rewire the stereo for much louder sound.

You could be correct, however my 76 FSM only shows one, on the driver's side, and I recall someone else confirming that most (maybe not all?) only had 1 stock speaker.

I can confirm that when I pulled both rear panels, there was only one speaker on the driver's side.  I had to make (rig up) a bracket for the passenger side, to add a speaker.  

The best upgrade is probably a small amplifier powering 2 good 6x9 speakers, using that speaker panel you can get.  Even if you have 2 speakers in the rear stock location, they face each other, and not the driver/passenger.  

On 10/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, w3wilkes said:

Both my 71 and 73 only had 1 speaker. I believe it was far bac left side.

That's what the FSM shows, and what I found as well.  Driver's side rear.  

There is a matching "spot" on the passenger side, but you have to fab a mounting bracket.