IGNORED

Fuel Pump Wired To Headlights?

Dave

My 1973 240z electric fuel pump only operates when the headlights are turned on. My 1972 parts car is wired the same way. The wiring diagram says the lead should run directly to the ignition switch via a 20 amp inline fuse. Am I missing something here?

Oh wow, that certainly *is* a problem! smile.gif

This sounds like a job for your Datsun mechanic. However, I would check a few things first:

1) Replace ALL of your fuses.

2) Check to make sure the pump is working by running a power lead from your battery to it.

3) Pull open the headlamp SWITCH assembly and lubricate it with WD-40. This will clean the electronics and verify that it's mechanically working.

4) Trace your wires and make sure that you don't have any exposed wiring touching each other.

Your headlamp wiring might be crossing with the fuel-pump causing it to turn on.

Let us know how it goes.

[m]

------------------

Mike Gholson

1971 240z, Mikuni Carbs, Tokico 5-way Adjustable Struts, Ferarri Yellow, Stock Engine, 15x9 wheels w/50 series Falken tires, Currently being restored.

[This message has been edited by Mike (edited 05-02-2000).]