IGNORED

Touching up the Console Lid

24OZ

Im with Steve Curtis on the re-do of the chrome trim lines on the inner door panels. I re-did mine a few years back using an aluminium tape which I got from a boating store here in Australia.

It is about 50mm (2") wide and was available for purchase off the roll by the metre.

I cut it down using a razor blade and peeled back a section at a time and applied it in one long strip without any joins. It looked great, and still looks great till this day. It hasnt peeled off in the sun as I expected that it may do.

Cost was about AUS$1 per metre.

I suggest that you remove as much of the original silver type foil as possible before applying the tape.

Looks much better than the purple coloured plastic that they turn when the silver foil peels off. But hey, atleast when it was purple it matched the carpet in my rear hatch area ;>

Regards

Joseph

With regards to the chrome trim on the door panels, I agree, don't use paint or anything except that film.

I've not had the need of it, since I cheated and bought a pair of NOS panels. But the heavy duty trim tape for boats sounds like it would work better than Bare Metal.

Since the original post dealt with the trim on the Fuse Panel Cover, which has a thin line around the area for the warning lights, that's what I responded to.

Look in the gallery and you'll see my center console. Most of that was initially done with Bare Metal Foil and it looked excellent.

However, in just a few weeks, I had already had a couple "oops" items show up. Just from simple activities, that's why I investigated the other stuff.

FWIW

Well as 24OZ's picture shows, there actually was a fair amount of silver trim on the original consoles and dashes. Sadly, it rarely survived more than a few very light wipings with any kind of dash cleaner.

I researched just about every picture I could find showing consoles and dashes to determine what "should" have been trimmed. I had a few doubts, but decided to use logic to "fill in the lines" where I felt the details of the car called for the trim.

I welcome any comments, and would love it if someone has pictures that confirm / deny what I've done.

Enrique