IGNORED

Pertronix Digital HP?

BadDog

Has anyone tried this on their Z yet? My MSD box crapped out on me  2 years ago, and I went without it last year. Luckily mine failed between parking my car in my garage and trying to start it the next day. I just don't think I trust it enough to justify paying for it to be repaired. These Pertronix boxes look to be very new, and I can't find much info on real world installs. Based on my positive experience with their Ignitor II, I trust them more than MSD...

Found it - http://www.moreignition.com/

They seem to be really focused on a flashy presentation, without a lot of real-world data.  It's just another CD box, with some tweaks to cover the perceived weaknesses of MSD's box.  Multiple spark all the way to redline.  But over a 20 degree span. 

Shiny ignition box, two color options, 6061-T6 aluminum (irrelevant to ignition performance).  It will look nice, but you might be a beta-tester.

It does look like they covered all of the bases though.  Tach problems, wiring diagrams, etc.  All of the issues that people report when working the MSD box.  Looks too new to get much feedback though.  Good luck.  Weird that they started a separate web site for it though.  moreignition.com?  What does that mean?

http://www.moreignition.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/0018-008813.pdf

Yeah, I don't know what's up with the second web site. I found it from the pertronix home page. I think I tried the link a few days ago and it didn't work yet, and now it does. I think some of their other products have their own domain names too, some home grown, others acquired. 

There's not much on the Googles yet, just their own press releases etc. I think it just became available very recently.

Maybe "more ignition" because it does multiple sparks all the way to redline? I found an interview on YouTube of one of their people at SEMA, and he talked about it's development and "proprietary software". 

Again, I'm considering it for when I scrape some spare cash together. Their Ignitor works great, and I am very weary of MSD now leaving me stranded somewhere :-\

Multiple sparks to Redline sounds like marketing hype to me. Just not enough time to do it at higher rpms.  Especially with an induction spark.  Now maybe if you count two separate sparks at 6,000 rpm. But there is n o point. Multiple sparks were really intended for CDI boxes because of there short spark duration. Laen mixtures at low RPM's may not light of the mixture. Multiple sparks are the solution, but even CDI can only do that up to approx 3,000 RPM and 20 degrees of crank angle. 

If you're looking for a nice Induction Box with great reliability, check out the Crane Hi-6S Inductive box.  Multi-spark ( to 3,000 RPM, ) Digital Rev limiter, RISC processor, proportional Boost retard,  Starter retard, Stage Limiter and at a reasonable cost. Part number 6000-6300 You can still pickup these on E-Bay as NOS. Crane sold off their Ignition division. S&D Cycle took over, then they sold it to FAST EFI. Fast is now selling the " Crane " Ignitions again... but where they are made is a mystery. 

For that reason a lot of tuners prefer NOS Crane Fireball ignitions, as those were all " Made in the USA " :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Crane+6000-6300&_sop=15

If you want a warranty, here is a link to Summit with the new Fast produced 6000-6300 Inductive box.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/fst-6000-6300/overview/

Crane Hi-6S and Fast Hi-6S (  6000-6300 )  specs;

http:// http://www.cranecams.com/uploads/instructions/9000-6320_.pdf

Edit: The 600-6300 is designed to be used with an OEM style electronic module. So if you have a Pertronix module in your Dizzy, 123 Ignition or a Matchbox dizzy,  these will trigger off the module. They will not trigger off a Hall or Magnetic sensor alone. Points will work though... as will the ancient 260Z and 280Z Trignition boxes. Basically they just need a Pull to Ground circuit. 

Edited by Chickenman

Thanks chickenman. I had read about the Hi-6s too, but it sounds like you need a tach adapter sometimes. Some people say not for a 73 like mine, but I vaguely remember people saying the same thing about the MSD 6A and I ended up having to get one for that. 

I think I'll keep an eye on eBay for a while, I didn't think about looking for a used Hi-6s....

If you already have a Pertronix ignitor already installed, (  or any other type of ignition electronic module ) , and your Tach works. It should work with the HI-6S as well. Crane does a better job with electronic Tach compatibility than the MSD.

MSD-6A is a CD box as well. Hi-6S is a long duration inductive box, Tach output does not have to be converted from 450 Volts primary output like on a CDI box. 

Edited by Chickenman
Added the word " NOT " to last sentence.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the update! I ended up getting a used Crane Hi-6s off of Ebay. I don't notice any improvement in performance, but I was just looking to get a cleaner burn anyway. I did have lots of problems trying to get the tack to work with it though. Crane's own tach adapter did not work either. I think I ended up using my old MSD one but its been so long since I did it that I would have to take another look...

Did you already return your Digital HP?