IGNORED

VG30 Engine Identification

Racer X

Been trying to identify a VG30 engine I have. Searched the innerwebs and even this forum (among others) with poor results. When I search using the serial number I get lots of hits that lead me to engine swap threads, or information about the later 'W' version from after 1987. As near as I can tel this one is the 'A' version, but I can only guess as I cannot find a definitive description of the serial numbers for these engines.

The one I have is normally aspirated, is bolted up to a manual transmission with no transfer case. So from that I cen be sure it was not in a front drive car, and not in a 4 wheel drive pick up.

Is there a resource I am missing that breaks down the engines by serial number, that would help identify this engine?

The number off of the rear pad on the right side of the block is VG30 369725A.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Racer.

24 minutes ago, JSM said:

Thansk for the reply.

Yes, I saw this. It doesn't really offer any real information though. And the last post in that thread has a (dead) link that looked promising, but since it is dead it is useless.

As near as I can tell this engine should have been originally installed in a 300Z, likely an early one, but other than that I can't be sure.

Gotcha. You saw this also. I think this what the link referenced I believe. 

I don't think it's anymore than you already know. 

http://www.xenonzcar.com/z31/engines.html

Aside from the year, what are you trying to determine? You trying to know if if came from a Z, truck or sedan?  You might call Nissan directly and see if they can tell. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JSM said:

That has some great information, and is helpful, thanks!

22 minutes ago, JSM said:

Aside from the year, what are you trying to determine? You trying to know if if came from a Z, truck or sedan?  You might call Nissan directly and see if they can tell. 

Pretty much all that. I have to assume it came from a Z, as I don't recall any 2 wheel drive pickups from that era, the Pathfinder was a 4x4 SUV, and the Maxima was FWD, right?

It would be good to know the production date, just so I have a better idea what I have here. I picked it up about 16 or 17 years ago when I had my race car at a car show. Several people who came by during the day offered up parts and other cars. One guy had a brand new never used or installed L series header, I snagged it for $40. As I was loading up at the end of the day a guy told me he had a Nissan V6 with a tranny I could have for $50. I drove by his place on the way home and he and I wrestled it into the side door of my race trailer.

I have a number if early Z's and I always thought it would be fun to drop it in one. Now I am at that point where it is time to see if I can get it started and run it a bit to determine the condition. The harness was cut when it was pulled and it doesn't have an ECU, so I'll need to find an aftermarket set up I think.

23 minutes ago, JSM said:

Ah makes sense. Your on hybrid too right? You saw this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/73970-z31-vg30et-into-an-s30-project-outline/

Yes, I am, and yes, I did. Some useful info there too, although my engine is NA. I plan on keeping it that way so some of the exhaust fitment challenges will be easier. And not having turbocharger(s) to leave room for will be a plus.

Also saw quite a bit of naysayers about this swap, but hey, you work with what you have. Even though the VG30 in stock form doesn't offer a big increase in performance, it does offer better reliability, and I won't have to be constantly tuning and adjusting the the carbs and valves. I'm really good at it, but it is a chore, and some days I'd rather have time for other things.

Understand completely. I'm steeling the 79 NA EFI for my 71, then will use an 86 EFI Turbo harness and then maybe start playing with my electromotive setup I have.  I'm really slow at stuff! I've had so many direction changes that have come full circle. Part of the fun of it for me is just figuring it out. 

I have all this turbo stuff and then drove an LS1 car and was like wow! Now I'm back playing with the L6 stuff. 

My wife just shakes her head.