IGNORED

78 Z fuel Pump Relay

ecp48

Wher is the relay for the fuel pump located in a 78 280Z coupe? My 75 Factory Manual is little or no help, says side dashboard, drivers side. the illustration in the 75 manual and Haynes is almost identical but doesn't locate it.

Help.

Thanks,

Ed Palmer

The Microfiche doesn't seem to be too helpful either as I can't find a relay that says it is a fuel pump relay. The only one I found is one on the passengers side kick panel under the dash that is listed as: relay, pump

:stupid:

If it is the one I think it is, it will be mounted on the lowest part of the relay panel, which is a two part panel. This relay is rectangular and is mounted so the tabs are sandwiched between the panels. This one should be mounted close to the door opening so it shouldn't be too hard to find if it is the right one....:ermm: Just about under the floor vent pull....(?)

Thanks guys,

Will try to pin it down.

I noticed the click on start up from under the relay bracket under the hood, but the manuals didn't id it.

The 75-77 all show a two part relay, fuel injection and fuel pump in one housing. They apparently split it for 1978.

Thanks again.

Ed Palmer

Apparently their was a change on cars built after 5/78. they have a system like the 79 280ZX. There are three (3) relays replacing the original one. the first is a fuel injection relay, 2nd is a Fuel pump relay (1) and 3rd is a fuel pump relay (2) or control relay.

I got help from a shop owner, former Nissan Factory Mcechanic. Mitchell had the schematic in their wiring update for 1978 and the dealership had a 1979 ZX manual with the test procedure. According to the mechanic (Bob, owner of Autotek, Athens GA), there was only a few of these (comparatively, imported. Most were sent to Australia where the 280Z lived for an additonal two years (1980). He remembered only one at the local dealership and didn't think the 1978 Factory Manual even included this change!

Thanks again,

Ed Palmer