IGNORED

Radio antenna grommet replacement

Stanley

The separate switch Mark mentions came in two versions on the early cars.  The earliest switch was a vertical rocker switch on the right side of the radio faceplate - right of the tuning knob.  The 2nd generation switch was a smaller horizontal switch on the faceplate located directly above the radio tuning knob.  Either switch enabled the driver to fully or partially extend or retract the factory electric antenna.  Sounds like you have a newer style antenna that automatically fully extends and retracts when your aftermarket radio is turned on or off.

If you want to control it, you'll have to add an ON/OFF switch to the power line between the radio and the antenna.  Not  a pretty solution, but about the only way you will get control of the movement of the new antenna.

Dennis

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, nix240z said:

I do have something that is very similar to the original.  The problem is getting the old one out of the nut and installing the new one with the little star looking insert.

Steve

antenna1.jpg

Thought I could find a used one, but the guys that work on the Z's say they just throw them away (the old antennas) and have the audio guys put a new one. Not in my budget for now.

That "problem" has me worried since the star thing is already kind of beat up. But I'm starting to hate how I fixed it, so I better try one.

On 6/18/2016 at 5:45 AM, siteunseen said:

I have a similar issue with my Harada.  I think that Siteunseen's solution looks best -- buy a cheap replacement antenna and hope that you can steal the needed part for use on the antenna that's in your car.  You risk only $19.

Let us know if it works!  :D

• Like 1

Which needed part?? I thought i only had to purchase the manual antenna Siteunseen recommends at Z car depot?  I also noticed that my car radio is not turning on. All fuses seem okay and it was working perfectly when i deliver the car to the paint shop. If the antenna cable was left disconnected could this be the problem? Does the antenna cable acts as a ground that closes the circuit? THis is what i saw on the electric diagram!