IGNORED

Modifying a '70-71 choke knob to fit a '72

sdyck

18 hours ago, 7tooZ said:

Hope this isn't repetitious but here is some info on choke knobs

Mr. Neyerlin at zparts.com has some nicely done 'parts chronology' posts in the 'Blog' section of his website.  The piece that 7tooZ has noted suggests that there may have been four choke knob designs within the 240Z model range (plus the fifth design for the 260Z).

Anyone have two of the fine thread screws for the early knob (70-71)?

Lowes carries 3mm M3- .50 x 6 that worked to replace the fine threaded screw on my 70. You may have to either drill the recess larger or grind down the head to fit the knob.
Once the poly dries the broken/missing knob will be replaced this home custom walnut knob.IMG_2813.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile
  • Like 2

Nice.  I'd thought about the possibility of carving a control knob (I need a mirror-image version for the hand-throttle lever on my car).  Thanks for demonstrating that it can be done.  With a finish coat of gloss black epoxy paint, it might be pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing made of plastic.  Probably stronger, too ^_^.  Not so sure that I have the engraving skills to carve in a logo, though. Winter project.

13 hours ago, RCR Z said:

Lowes carries 3mm M3- .50 x 6 that worked to replace the fine threaded screw on my 70. You may have to either drill the recess larger or grind down the head to fit the knob.
Once the poly dries the broken/missing knob will be replaced this home custom walnut knob.IMG_2813.JPG

Thanks! I ordered from ZStore Page .50 cents, would have figured the price would have $10.00 LMAO

Edited by 70 Fairlady Z

Ordered - thanks!

Thanks for the comments guys. A PO switched out the Series 1 console and fitted what I believe to be Series 2. It is not in great shape with damaged fuse block cover and missing ashtray/cover. So I am planning to use the same walnut to fabricate new pieces to match the choke lever knob. Just a little custom wood bling to a non original console. Will post some finished photos.