IGNORED

Painting the Baffle Plate

24OZ

Hi folks,

I would like to know if the baffle plate, the metal shield that sits behind the Front Brake Rotor, can be painted with POR 15? I am wondering how hot that shield gets and if POR 15 can handle it (can't seem to find any temp. rating on the product). I don't race and I don't drive the car that often?

What do you think? Will it flake off quickly?

I don't think it will come off at all. I dripped some on the tailpipe of my van when painting the rust on the underbody last summer. It is still there, good as new. The brake shield could of course get much hotter, but not too much more I would guess. The por15 will chip off if it gets impact damage, but you don't get much there maybe a stone or two. I used it on several suspension pieces with good success and think it would be ok for your needs. The standard blk is not UV stable and supposedly needs an overcoat of paint, but the stuff on my driveway is still there as well...

Regular POR will "haze" or get cloudy when exposed to UV light. Won't affect it, but it does look like if the paint has hazed and become bad. You can recoat the base POR before it sets with a rattle can paint and it will then protect it and give you the gloss / shine you want while being on top of a POR base.

They also have HIGH TEMP POR, which is specifically made for those areas. Ask your vendor. If you order it from MSA you will be limited to what they stock / sell, but if you contact a POR dealer / distributor he'll have access to the complete line.

If you need the name for a distributor, I'll give you the name for mine.

Hope this helps.

Enrique Scanlon

Hi Enrique :),

Thanks for the great information you provide, as always. As far as I am aware, we do not have many stockist of POR 15 here in the UK. I am therefore limited to the one product. This being the general POR 15 that you can paint over rust and likes to adhere to rough surfaces.

Being limited to the full ptoduct range, I would have liked to have been able to purchase a tin of POR 15 which can be used on smooth surfaces as I want a nice finish to some of the parts I am painting. For instance, with the tension rods I wire brushed them with an attachment on the drill, I can say it's fairly smooth but the POR 15 still stuck to it ok, so I am hoping that it doesn't really matter too much.

My stockist does have the POR 15 cleaning and thining solvent but I have not purchased it. I think it would be useful as once the brushes get used thats it for them. Instead, I have stocked up on cheap brushes. :)

The High Temp POR is definitely out of the question for my stockist so I will have to take your advice and just use the regular stuff..

By the way, i didnt realise the baffle plate was so hard to remove.. anyone have any quick tips to give?

Thanks.

There's only one way to get it off George, you have to pull the whole hub/rotor assembly to get to the 4 Phillips head screws that mount it. Once the hub is off, use an impact driver or a good set of Vice-Grips to break the screws loose, they usually are rusted and very difficult to remove without stripping the heads....:ermm:

When you put it back on, you can always replace the screws with hex head bolts.

Hi Keith,

How's the weather? You started painting yet?

Thanks for the info.. I really didnt realise it would be so much hassle to remove... I think I will avoid this kind of hassle and just paint it as best I can in situ. It can't look anyworse then it already does.