IGNORED

280Z runs rough when warmed up

KZZman

On ‎23‎-‎3‎-‎2016 at 4:14 AM, KZZman said:

I was excited to purchase my first Z after years of admiring them. I just purchased a 77 280Z with only 10,000 miles on it. I did a full blown tune-up plugs, wires, cap, roter, fuel filter, before I started putting miles on it. I brought it home today, and it started to run rough after it was warmed up. It started backfiring  and was running at 500 rpm at idle. I looked around on past posts and noticed quite a few owners have had the same problem. I see quite a few suggestions, but I don't want to start throwing a bunch of parts at it if I can help it.  Could anybody give me some solid advice. I see possible solutions as replacing o2 sensors, coolant temp sensors or start messing around with the AFM. 

Go to a garage and have the CO measured this can give you an idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all of the above;  Mine would barely idle without dying until I cleaned all the electrical bullet connectors and made sure all vacuum hoses were either connected or capped.

Also, mine later began running rough and sometimes dying when hot.  Turned out to be a clog in the fuel tank that seemed to settle after warming up?  Had a shop cut it open, clean it, remove the stock "screen" that gets clogged/rusted.  Nice thing is mine (all Z's?) have a drain plug in the gas tank.  That's some good engineering foresight.  Could also be fuel pump or solenoid?