IGNORED

Datsun vs Datsun?

That Ozzy Guy

I have noticed here in Australia there are two very distinct classes of Datsun enthusiasts.

In the blue corner we have the 1600/1200/utes/sedans/wagons and in the red corner we have 240/260/280/Z cars.

Can anyone shed some light on the reasons for the seperations between Datsun enthusiasts?

Cheers

I stand in both corners, I have owned 3x1600, 2x240k coupes, 1xr30 Skyline. Now 2x240Z Its just got to be datsun, 1x GY60 (GQ)wagon 4.2d Nissan. As you can see some people have a foot in both corner.

My 2c

Steve:classic: :classic:

For sure. The 1600s/1200s and all the "little" cars are based on boxy economy cars and get their "cool" factor because they're old, cheap and look pretty good. I don't think the 1600's rally cred plays an important part in most 1600 owners' decision to buy the car. But who am I to judge?

Most of the enthusiasts with these cars chuck in bigger engines, and I'm sure you know this. Go to any local newsagency and chances are half of the "Rice-burner" magazines have at least one 1600 with an FJ20 motor in it.

Z's are much rarer, and more expensive (I'm talking classic Z's here). I'm guessing because the Z is more of a classic car, enthusiasts who like the car for what it is are more prominantly seen with these. Of course there are lots of hoons who stick big engines in them (*cough*cuong*cough*) to be cool, but I think most owners realise the car's status in the whole scheme of things.

I'm assuming a larger portion of 1600 owners don't really care about the car's history, but I only base that on the number of these cars I see that are butchered.

I've had one 1600 owner look inquisitively as he drove by, and as we exchanged thumbs-up it changed my whole perception of 1600 drivers. Maybe they aren't all ignorant fools after all? ;)

You owned a 240K coupe, SJCurtis? Have you got any info/stories/parts/anything at all I might find useful? Give me an email if you do! alfadog@bigpond.net.au I'm really enjoying owning something unique as this. They're not bad cars either ;)

Truth is that zed's are seen as chicks cars by blokey aussie males that wouldn't be caught dead in anyting other than a V8 ute or a 4 door sedan. (interestingly enough the first ute was conceived by a woman and built for her by ford, so i guess utes are chick cars too).

If you've seen the movie Chopper (i only saw it on foxtell a couple of weeks ago), the part when he says he gets photos from all sorts of people outside bojangles niteclub, he says "photos from homosexual types" and the scene is of a guy with bleached short hair infront of a 260z 2+2. hmmm.

Maybe they drive sedans to try and be blokey.

Who cares. I dont.

I bought a datsun 240z originally (in high school) because it was cheap and had all the features of more expensive sports cars like IRS, and they look so cool.

I just bought another one because they look so cool! and i wanted a project car to have some fun with. The fact that they are only going to appriciate in value is good too. Dont get me wrong, I didnt buy it as an investment, anyone that thinks cars are an investment needs their head examined. they cant appriciate in value quick enough to offset the cost of ownership unless you stick it in a shed and never ever drive it anywhere.

With cars, it's personal

I like: 1600's, 1200 coupes, 240z's, (hate 2+2's), VH-VK Commodores, hk monaro's,xy falcon sedans, xb falcon coupes (xb sedans are ugly, and so is every other falcon except the newest one- wow ford finally got it right again), didn't like 240k's ny they've grown on me, i could go on and on, but i wont.

No flames please.:classic:

And now for something completely different.

I've seen 4 350z on the road all of them were concept colours

2 lemans sunset and

2 platinum silver.

What? people dont want a red, black, blue or white one?

I don't know how 240Z's are known to be chick cars or homosexual cars.... I think the poll Mike conducted here showing the sex for all members proves the first point. Perhaps we need a sexual orientation poll??? ROFL ROFL

When the Z came out all the reviews said it was a very manly car. Everything is heavy and has a certain macho-ness about it. How the public perception has changed it into a "chick's car" I don't understand! Maybe they should drive one and then see. They're not exactly easy to drive.

Personally I've never heard the idea that the Z was a feminine car. Must be different way over there in Perth...

Alfadog,

Yes I was a REV HEAD 1600 Modifier, I have experienced the thrill of big cubes, locked diff, 76 degree cam,with the ultimate thrill, flat pedal, sucking 45 Webbers on a Datrally in the dirt with plenty left in the tank, You need to experience the 1600, to truely appreciate the Z.

I owned a Gold with Black interior 240K GT full option pack back in 1984 and I thrashed it, that is where I got the taste for the L series six good and strong. Sorry I do not have anything left now.

cheers

Steve:classic:

I've noticed this Datsun versus Datsun thing as well. Is it just me or does there seem to also be a small amount of animosity thrown into the mix as well?

I can appreciate some of the great work routinely done by the 1600/1200 crowd. I'm also insanely jealous of the great aftermarket support that seems to exist for these cars compared to the Z (in Perth anyway).

But I'll stick with the Z. You stick a great 1600 in a car park and most people will walk straight past it, the curvaceous lines of Z always get noticed.

Alfadog,

I can not be really certain but I know It is all about trim level. Mine had diffrent interior to the GL better finnish and realy smart seats,stereo was two piece and diffrent to the GL. Under the hood and running gear same asfor all ADR cars. The good cars didnt get to Australia through Datsun delivery.

Cheers

Steve

:classic:

Alphadog,

No not like the fixed back (look home market), and no not like the gallery. Yes reclinners cloth upper (like a nylon weave) colour same as both pictures. The gallery car interior looks like the GL.

Cheers

Steve:classic: